News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1965 rear bumper alignment

Started by chris1932rdstr, April 03, 2021, 10:51:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris1932rdstr

Hi all. New member with my first Cadillac. I am working on a 1965 Coupe DeVille, I purchased someone else's abandoned project and it was missing quite a few important trim and bumper parts. I obtained a complete front and rear bumper and constructed the best front and rear out the parts I had and "here's my first mistake" before test fitting them I sent them to Librandi Plating to be re chromed. They look absolutely gorgeous, Librandi as always did an outstanding job. But..... The rear bumper fit is horrendous.

I'm thinking the only solution at this point is to disassemble the bumper and put the corners on first, get them to fit, and then possibly press or bend the center until it fits without messing with the ends? Am I on the right track? Has anyone else had this issue?

I can post some pictures once i figure out how.

Thanks in advance

Christian

harvey b

As a rule you assemble the bumper,snug up the bolts and brackets,then test fit it.if it is not real tight it is easier to "mold" into shape?.Are you sure you have the correct brackets and even the right bumper,?.Im sure others will be more help,pictures are great too. Harveyb
Harvey Bowness

chris1932rdstr

Here are some photos. I know the entire bumper is low but the width is what

Chuck Swanson

welcome to forum.  If you try to bend the metal after chrome plating, it most likely will ruin the chrome.   There are two metal spacers that go on each end, connected to the center, but that won't help if they both stick out on each side.   It could be the car, but more common is the bumper you had was hit, maybe just the center.  Ideally you get a spare bumper and test to see which part is possibly bent.  It will also rule out the car.  Hard to tell in the pictures as can only see the ends sticking out.  I have a few spares to test, but I am in Syracuse NY.

Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Roger Zimmermann

By looking at the second picture, obviously something is not correct between the bumper and bumper end: there is a gap; there must be none. The bumper end should be bolted directly to the central part.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101