News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'75 Eldorado Driver's Door Lock

Started by benji808, November 30, 2021, 02:25:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benji808

Driver's door lock doesn't work with power or with key, it seems to be stuck. Passenger side works fine. Had the same issue with a '76 I used to have... pulled the door panel and pulled on some things/sprayed wd40 around but was unable to figure out what was going on. Anyone have insight into what may be causing this?

V63

Typically they seize from moisture getting in. Yes, if you remove it, it might be salvaged with Cleaning, lubrication and encouraging movement. The unit is specific for 2 door and left or right, but cover as much as 1971-78
I have also 'skinned' a 4 door version and inserted its internals into the 2 door required housing.

The Tassie Devil(le)

I agree with Mr Link,

These electric door locker and un-locker solenoids are subject to rusting solid, as once the rubber boot on the top of the plunger degrades, it lets water in, and the corrosion begins.

I have had success in rebuilding mine, but one needs to get inside the door first to get to it, and if it won't manually lift up or push down, with minimal effort, then it is rusted.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

If you follow the rod down there should be a plunger looking thing at the end of it.  That is the electric thing and water seems to run down the rod and work its way past the boot even when it was in good condition and get in there and corrode things.   

I don't recall if 75 was still the real basic electro magnet plunger type or if they had moved to the electric motor that runs a mini rack and pinion thing.  Either way the moving parts corrode and don't want to move.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Big Fins

'76 still used the electro-magnet. My passenger door works great and the drivers door is rusted. I hate taking apart those door panel any more than needed. One slip of a tool or wrong move and you are advertising in the Parts Wanted section.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

MaR

Here is what is inside the actuator and in the second pic, you can see the part that rusts and seizes up.

Big Fins

I soaked mine in PB Blaster the first time out. It took a week to free up the plunger. That was the only problem in it. I made a top boot out of an inner tube, but it lasted only a few years.

The passenger side, the one that works is all OEM that I bought from Charles 5 or 6 years back. It was just like new.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

benji808

hornetball