News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

concourse question

Started by Tim Sr, December 02, 2021, 06:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim Sr

I am doing a rotisserie restoration on a1957 Cadillac Biarritz. Are points deducted for the stainless quarter panel sails and sabre wheels if they are repaired and chrome plated instead of factory polished or finished ? The wheels have pitting and the stainless quarter panels need welding where they crack when meeting the rear bumper. Any advise would greatly be appreciated, thanks Tim Sr.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

I'm not sure I understand your question about
the sabre wheels.  They were always chrome plated
except for the years where the gold sabres were an
option.  That's how they came from the factory.  You
need a special plater to do this work as the sabre
wheels were aluminum alloy / steel hybrids.  Valley
Wire Wheel in CA is the best place to for this work.

As for the quarter panel sails, repairing & welding
them, I'll leave that to another expert.  As for
judging, if it can be done so that it appears like
high polish stainless then it may go unnoticed.
Flash chroming stainless was used over the years
as a way to improve the appearance of worn
stainless.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Tim Sr

Thanks for your response. That answers my question about the sabre wheels. These wheels are not the optional gold. As for the rear sail panels, both left and right side are stress cracking where they bolt to the upper corners of the bumpers. I built a lot of streetrods and restomods over my 69 years of age but this is my first concourse build for a customer and the difficulty level is a lot higher as far as building the car as close as possible to factory specs/condition. The panels are easily restorable except for the corners. Thats why I am looking for direction or info how to repair and restore these two parts. Again, thank you for your response, Tim Sr. 

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Tim,

If I understand your question correctly, what you're calling the sail panel is the stainless piece that encompasses the wheel opening and flows back to the rear bumper end. That piece is stamped stainless steel that is flashed chromed – more on that below. I believe the bolt hole you're talking about is far enough from the exposed outside face that you could weld it if you heat sink the exposed area. This is needed to prevent the exposed surface from turning blue from the heat.
If that piece has no dents, scratches or creases in it, you should thank the car Gods. The only way to repair defects is metal finishing with the pursuit of perfection. Anything less will show defects like a sore thumb. If you're going after a concours restoration, that panel will have to be  flash chromed. No matter how high the polishing or reflectivity on stainless, it will be a different color than chrome. Usually it is a slightly brownish color compared to the chrome bumper's blue-white refection. I had a tough time finding a shop to do flash chroming because it requires a change in the process set up that's very disruptive.  Most shops will try to persuade you to do copper/nickel /chrome. While the surfaces facing the electrode is fine, the edges and back side will have a lot of flaking problems. I had to Crazy Glue the flaking edges on most of the trim for a '59 Fleetwood.......extremely time consuming and not fun

BTW, the '57 Eldorado is one of Cadillac's most beautiful efforts
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Tim Sr

Thank you for your response. That pretty much answers my question on the stainless quarter panel sections. They do some work besides the stress cracking at the rear tabs. I know of a local guy near Buffalo NY that does amazing stainless repair and polishing. I will just have to find a plater that does flash chrome. Thank you for you help.

David King (kz78hy)

The 1960 Master Parts List shows the wheel opening panel was chromed.
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

FYI: There was no optional gold version of the Eldorado Brougham wheel.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Hi Eric:

The OP said it was a "Biarritz" -- not a "Brougham".
I know that there was no optional gold wheel for
the latter.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region