News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1941 Series 63 build sheet

Started by falpunz, December 08, 2021, 12:11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

falpunz

I have a 1941 Series 63. The data plate shows it was a special order but I am having trouble deciphering the build sheet. I have a list of all the codes but still can't figure this out.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

harry s

It looks like somewhere along the line there was a lost title. Then was titled in Arizona with the correct VIN. Bob, the build sheet  can be seen by clicking on the link below the picture.    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Roger Zimmermann

Not below, but above the picture!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

harry s

...sorry about the mix up.     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

The first X means that the car was painted in one of the 2 tone colors.
The second XX has me stumped. Barry Wheeler can you help??
Bob

David King (kz78hy)

That is the 1st body tag I've seen where the SO number is different than the body number and higher as well, very odd.
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

That's how it was prior to the war. And... it wiped out both the paint & the trim even if only one was SO.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

The one SO car that I took a swatch from had a four digit # for the cloth. It was "higher" than the list of cloths shown in the Master Parts Book which (I believe) are considered "Special Laidlaw." I have made a half hearted effort to search my basement files to see if I can find the swatch with no luck as yet.

Bob, I may have mentioned this before, but have you any way to contact Dr. Zeiger in Beverly Hills. He supposedly has Hollis' files along with Ernie Kay's items. It would be nice if an effort could be made about going through these items before they are lost.

One thing that might be suggested to Dr. Zeiger, if he does not have the time to go though them himself, is to send them to our library and have Alan and Paul copy them mechanically and then return the original material back to the good doctor.

Another task that might be attempted is to contact Ann Steig for permission to inspect Carl's SO 60S and take pictures of the interior (purportedly all maroon) with shots of the power windows so they could be authenticated.

As I mentioned earlier this year, when Carl supposedly copied all the build sheets of the SO 41-60S cars, he missed his own, the one featured in the SS Annual, the one in the 100 year Cadillac book, the Kettering car, and the one I took the swatch from. This grouping may still be un-cataloged at our library.

Years ago, I contacted Rinshed-Mason in Detroit as to whether or not they might still have info on the SO paints. (I also contacted DuPont as well, with negative results. I need to contact Mr. Haartz again about the info they still have about top materials. Time, time, time. Who has enough of it?

Hollis told me once that he remembered a banquet at a North/South Meet where a R/M rep was the featured speaker. He remembered the man speaking of four "Spring" colors for 1941. Brava Brown is believed to be the only once ever shown in a swatch. Hollis also mentioned another maroon, and a turquoise. The Coker Family may have a turquoise one and he couldn't remember the fourth color.

We need to try to pin down some of this elusive material before it is lost or people forget who has what. Thanks for the interest. BW
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I finally found the build sheet! It appears that your car was Dusty Gray with Red Wheels which was a standard two tone shade. I don't have the special features book anymore, but I don't think there was a charge for using the gray from a two-tone combination. I don't know what the XX listing is for. There is a "B" on the Dusty Gray line which probably designated the bottom shade, and the next line may have been a SO shade for the top might be from the elusive sub catalog which I have surmised may have been available only in major markets. (My premise might be borne out seeing as how the car was ordered from the factory and not a dealer.)

The 833 code is from the Special Laidlaw listing which is a blue heather mix.

I found a 60S car from this listing of special cloth, but it had seat covers on it still and it was raining so I couldn't pull on anything to check on the condition of the original material. The car had been stripped of all usable materials except the seats and for the price wanted, I didn't want to take a chance on them being worn.

(With Murphy in "high gear", the seats were probably perfect.) The car was near Chicago (Hammond) and the owner not "helpful" in any regard, so I let it go.)
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

falpunz

Thank you all for your responses. I appreciate all the info.