News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

60 CDV Trim Color

Started by Michael Petti, December 08, 2021, 03:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Petti

Can anyone tell me what color of red goes around the crest on the rear grill of a 60 CDV and where to get it or how to mix it, or what color they used. Also need to know what finish to use, Satin, semi-gloss or gloss. The red on the emblem on the dash is faded and what's left of it looks more like orange or light rose which I don't think is right.  I've attached a picture of what I have.  Thanks for the help in advance.

Moody

It's red, I'll try to dig out my one excellent emblem and see if that will help. It looks just like the Chevy emblem red I believe.
Dave
Moody

Michael Petti

Dave
Thankyou. If it's like the chevy, it's probably a bright red enamel. If you find yours, I'll be interest to see it and which surfaces do and don't get painted.
Mike Petti

fishnjim

If there's enough paint left on the dash, then the standard technique would be to take a small chip and turn it over and match the underside color.   
I'm not sure there was any paint back there from the picture, and interior and exterior badging may not match, that usually varies by model, so you must have seen one or have reason to suspect.  Ask a concours judge.
I've never seen that "bulk" paint listed by year just color.   They sometimes list the interior trim color formulae with the exterior color chart, never the badging as these are made by others to GM specs/for replacement in collision repairs.   
Somewhere there would be a drawing but as far as I know, sadly, GM does not divulge that other than by license, if available.   Other brands you can find drawings in libraries, museums etc.
If it was me and I've done this work before, since you don't need much, I'd just use plain old store bought red spray paint, like rustoleum, or lacquer.   You spray into a container to catch the paint, and apply with a whateverUgot; toothpick, small brush, or striping brush.   The solvent in the spray paint levles out and flashes off so it dries quickly.   For larger parts like a grill I've masked them and shot the rattlecan paint on.   You can get sign painters colors in pint cans at most places.   Don't overthink originality.