News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

A/C System troubleshooting and refurbishing

Started by 6Fleetwood6, September 22, 2022, 05:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6Fleetwood6

A/C System troubleshoot and refurbish.

The truth is this A/C system is 56 years old.  The fact it worked this long is a credit to its engineering.  I was told by the last owner that the system was modified to cool in the summer and heat in the fall, ( ...move this here, open this valve etc.) I knew it would fail but was just not sure when!

Like most I do a lot of searching for answers and different approaches when it comes to repairs.  Without this forum and the deep knowledge people here have and share these repairs would not be possible for me.

It did not sit well with me for the system to have been modified from the factory.  How hard can it be to return the system to normal?  Shop manual on the table next to Tim Groves troubleshooting guide to read through and began to understand the systems and subsystems both electrical and vacuum.  What did it for me was one of the modified connectors shorted (30A) to ground.  No better time to return to normal, I have most of the electro-mechanical skills already in my toolbox but no worries, a vacuum  gauge and a multimeter will do.

This post is not to rewrite what is already well written, but to acknowledge how valuable  our forum is to hobbyists like me to keep these beautiful birds flying!  Some people to thank, Tim, Greg, Gerald. There are many more.

Some pictures of what condition my setup was in before and after.
Current
1966 Fleetwood Brougham
Past
1999 Deville Concours
2006 STS4

67caddyLA

I really need to get my AC to work on my 67 Deville :(
Ryan Zeimen
1967 Cadillac Deville Topless

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

I am ASSuming this is a '66.  What modifications have been made and can you shoot some pictures of the refrigeration and control systems?
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

6Fleetwood6

Here are the shots I uploaded.
Current
1966 Fleetwood Brougham
Past
1999 Deville Concours
2006 STS4

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Looks like a FEW changes. Why on earth did they put the vacuum transducer in the engine compartment? IF THIS WERE MINE, I would start with the vacuum diagram in the FSM (or in Tim's book if he has one), and return the system to factory configuration. Then do the same with the electrical and sensor string. At this point you can make a diagnosis of what else needs to be done.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Hi Paul! You put Betty away too soon! See you in Wakefield Saturday?
The Ark is already booked into http://tirrellradiator.com/ for November of '23.
As you know my HVAC issues start at the temp dial and switches, go into the engine bay, then
back out to the vents, LOL! Bob does all of Hyannis Vintage Auto's work, he knows Tim and
all the other prime suspects for parts. Someone to consider if you're having issues. I'll give
him my keys and my AmEx next November then "call me when its done"...
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all