News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Decal: Remote Locking Fuel Door

Started by smokuspollutus, October 24, 2020, 11:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokuspollutus

Hi all, my Eldorado is equipped with a remote locking fuel/license plate door. On cars so equipped, a decal reading "REMOTE LOCKING FUEL DOOR" replaced the "UNLEADED FUEL ONLY" one on the center bumper filler. It seems that the latter is reproduced by everyone, but no one makes anything for the cars that had the locking fuel door.

Anyone know of a company that will reproduce decals? I have contacted several of the vendors that sell the unleaded fuel only decals but of course they do not make the decals in house. Nor will they give up their source for me to contact. I would assume that there has to be something special done with these in particular to be gasoline resistant. Or maybe someone on here has the facilities to make these decals themselves?

I have attached a picture of the decal in question. Font seems exactly the same as the unleaded decals. I can put up measurements later today, but again, they're the same size as the unleaded one.

Thank you

Anthony

signart

I should be able to help you with that, Anthony. Only thing is, that appears like a brushed metal decal on the background in the picture. It may just be the photo, but that could be problematic costwise for a very short run of the decals.
If that is not the case, I could produce a short run without a problem. If you want to send the specs, I'll see about setting up a proof.
Art D. Woody

smokuspollutus

Quote from: signart on October 25, 2020, 09:05:26 PM
I should be able to help you with that, Anthony. Only thing is, that appears like a brushed metal decal on the background in the picture. It may just be the photo, but that could be problematic costwise for a very short run of the decals.
If that is not the case, I could produce a short run without a problem. If you want to send the specs, I'll see about setting up a proof.

Thank you Art, I would be interested-it does appear to be a brushed metal look in person. Do you think they could be made to be reasonably gasoline-resistant? It sits inches away from the fuel neck, so reasonable to say it will see some dribble. I forgot to get measurements the other day but will put them up when I get home tonight.

I appreciate it,

Anthony

smokuspollutus

Hi Art, I was able to get some measurements:

The whole decal is 3 1/4" x 1/2"

The "REMOTE LOCKING" writing is 2 1/16" wide, centered on the decal

The "FUEL DOOR" writing is 1 1/4" wide, again centered on the decal

The characters are all 4 MM tall. Metric here because it is dead between 1/8 and 3/16. There is equal spacing between the top of the decal and the top of "REMOTE LOCKING", between the bottom of "REMOTE LOCKING" and top of "FUEL DOOR", and between "FUEL DOOR" and the bottom of the decal. If that makes any sense.

I will try to mark up the image with the measurements.

Anthony

smokuspollutus

Ok, after some exercise in fractions and metric to standard conversions, this is what I came up with.

signart

Here is a layout with as close a match up to the type style that I could find.
Now, I will have to experiment with the background & lamination as far as gas resistance.
I will also have to research the brushed finish & availability of a small quantity of printable material.
I know I can have these printed out of house, but the minimum amount of copies is quite high, thus it might put a strain on the budget even though the price per copy would be very low.
We'll see.
P.S.
I am assuming the letters are background color and the black outline is the only printed color?
Art D. Woody

smokuspollutus

Hi Art, that looks really close.

As I mentioned, the decal does have a brushed appearance in person, but I should have said that the picture is probably exaggerating it to some extent. Point being, if the brushed look is orders of magnitude more difficult/expensive to achieve, then I would settle for something that just matches the gray color. Not undertaking a million point show car here nor am I looking to make money selling the extra units from the batch for any more than cost. But I would like to be able to offer them to the tens of people worldwide who may be looking for them at a realistic price.

The big thing for me is that it says the right thing and is gasoline resistant.

Re: letter coloring, you are correct, they're just black outlined bubble letters.

Thanks so much,

Anthony

signart

I'll try tweaking it a bit, then give it try when I get a chance.  I have brushed chrome material, but it won't accept printing on directly.
Art D. Woody

smokuspollutus

Thank you Art, if you have any other details you want to iron out, you can post here or private message me.

smokuspollutus

Quote from: signart on October 27, 2020, 09:10:32 PM
I'll try tweaking it a bit, then give it try when I get a chance.  I have brushed chrome material, but it won't accept printing on directly.

Hi Art, were you able to look into this?

Anthony

smokuspollutus

Inquiring if there might be someone out there with a knowledge of decals that might be interested in taking on this project.

Anthony

smokuspollutus

Hello all, I was able to get this reproduced. Will offer one to any member of this site in need free of charge. Just send me a PM on here.

Anthony

smokuspollutus

Hi, I still have some of these to anyone who is interested. Recent received a PM from a user on here, and thought I would update it. If you're in need just reply to me with a good mailing address and I'll gladly get one in the mail to you.

smokuspollutus

Bumping this again to see if there is anyone in need of one of these decals.