News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

76 Eldo rear air shocks...Available?

Started by Brian Rachlin, May 10, 2005, 10:39:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Rachlin

I noticed yesterday that the drivers side of my 76 Eldo is a bit higher than the passenger side in the rear.  So, a couple of questions:

1.  Do the shocks share a common filler line?

2.  Are replacements available, and if so, is there a special air line set required?

3.  Any other reason that the car would sit higher on the drivers side?

Thanks,

Brian

Steve #20480s

Hello,
Years ago I left my 76 Eldo (the back end) up on a jack stand for a couple of days, cant remember why, when I put the tire back on and took it off the jack that side sat higher. Apparently the leaf spring stretched. Ended up having to replace them, corrected the problem. My car was switched over to convertional shocks before I got it. Good Luck.
Steve

Dave MacGregor #18998

Dave MacGregor #18998

Hi,

(Ooops Sorry about the last post as I bumped te <Enter> key.)

There are still rear air shocks available, but in a slightly different configuration than before in that one shock had two air fittings and the other one only had one.  That was to allow the ALC to work with the shock having the two fittings kinda act like a "T" to run a line to the other shock.

Today, each shock has one fitting for the air lines.  You have to get an adapter kit.  All these parts are available through AC/Delco and will work fine with an original operating ALC system, or if you prefer, to have a seperate valve installed to manually operate them to your liking.

Dave

Brian Rachlin

Dave,

Thanks for the info.  I will check under there to see what is on the car now.  I remember changing the ones on my 85 Eldo, and it was the same thing, with a special line kit to hook up to the level ride.

Thanks,

Brian

superflytnt

Gabriel makes air shocks for this Eldo

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Passenger side coil spring could be weaker than the other.

If memory serves, the pressure is equalized between the two shocks if the setup is still OEM.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

76eldo

Wow

My post is more than 10 years old!!

Guess I better get on the ball with my rear shocks.

Lol.

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

TJ Hopland

Wow what an old post.   Did you ever get around to fixing that issue?     I had a similar issue with the 75.   It must have sat on uneven ground or with a flat tire for many years.  What I ended up doing was swapping the rear springs left to right and then adjusting the torsion bars.   I was not able to get it perfect right away but one day months later noticed it finally seemed to settle into a fairly level position. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

76eldo

Never fixed it.

I recently had an exhaust system installed and noticed that the left rear shock looked deflated and that they have individual filler lines, but are still hooked up to the Automatic Level Control system.

I think I need new rear shocks.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv