News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

74-76 steering wheel question

Started by Pat, September 23, 2006, 03:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

Are they the same and can the three spoke wheel be used on 77/78 Eldorado?  Can purchase a 76 from a Seville.

Harry Carlson #16432

While we are on the subject, my 76 steering wheel (like most I suppose) has lost almost all of the decorative metal & fake wood inlay.

I notice that most of these era cars on ebay have an aftermarket leather wrap around the wheel.  I assume thats because they have the same problem - the trim has peeled off.

Does any one restore these or exchange them?

Geoff Newcombe #4719

Scroll down and read "Resto of 55".  The link that LOU CLC19028 provided just yesterday is for an outfit that does steering wheels of all years.

Harry Carlson #16432

Yeh, I saw that steering wheel restoration shop.  All it takes is money.  A whole lot of money.  No wonder so many steering wheels are leather wrapped.

Dick Heller

Leather wrapping is an excellent alternative to a major steering wheel rebuild unless one is worried about points at a car show.

Dick

Quote from: Harry Carlson #16432Yeh, I saw that steering wheel restoration shop.  All it takes is money.  A whole lot of money.  No wonder so many steering wheels are leather wrapped.

Geoff Newcombe #4719

OK, try "Wheel Marx Steering Wheel Restoration".  
Owned by:  James Harrison
11144 Holstein Road
Lithia, FL  33547
813-737-4613
http://www.wheelmarx.com TARGET=_blank>www.wheelmarx.com
Dont know if their prices are any better or not but its another option.

Lars Kneller 8246

Older wheel will work, just not authentic.

Mike Beda

All Caddy steering wheels, without airbags, from 71-92 RWD models and also from 71-85 Eldos and Sevilles can interchange.  The later models have a shorter collar behind the wheel, but the collars can be swapped to make the wheel fit.  I replaced my cracked 76 DeVille wheel with a pristine one from an 85 Seville.  Its the right color, and has a Cadillac crest on it; only a real Cadillac fan would know its not original.

74-76 wheels were identical except for the color of the woodgrain.  But you can swap the woodgrain centers, if youre careful.

Also some Buicks in the seventies and early eighties used the previous style Cadillac wheel, identical except for the emblem.  Probably a lot more GM wheels interchange, but these are all I know  of.

-mB
76 Sedan DeVille