News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1978 Eldorado Biarritz CV Boots

Started by Jeffrey Klinner #19166, November 28, 2006, 11:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeffrey Klinner #19166

Does anyone know where I can find NOS CV boots for my 78 Biarritz?  The new reproductions are not the quality of the original and do not last.  My mechanic says the difference is a one inch clamp vs. a band.  Ive done a google search that has not been much help.  Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Jeffrey

Dick Heller

Oldsmobile Toronado should also be a suitable replacement.

Dick

Quote from: Jeffrey Klinner  #19166Does anyone know where I can find NOS CV boots for my 78 Biarritz?  The new reproductions are not the quality of the original and do not last.  My mechanic says the difference is a one inch clamp vs. a band.  Ive done a google search that has not been much help.  Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Jeffrey

Jeffrey Klinner

Im agree they would be suitable. Any idea where to find NOS for these cars?

denise 20352

Dick Heller

George Woodford clc21025

It is very difficult to find NOS boots.  I have searched for them myself and only found one outer and two inside boots.  Rubber gets old and NOS are likely to fail shortly after installation.  Installed of boots is involved and a science.  You have to clamp the boot in the right place or bingo.  Remember to turn the steering wheel to the right or left to clamp it in the greatest point of travel.  Call Danny at 800-338-2326, M-Sat. 8-6 EST.  He does CV restoration and may be able to provide you with boots that are made well to meet your needs.  

Dick Heller

Hemmings Motor News Ad

Seller Notes:
1971-1976 ELDORADO owners: we stock a wide assortment of new original GM and reproduction parts for your restoration needs, from hood ornaments to mirrors to body fillers to weatherstripping kits to impact pads to emblems and scripts, also a nice assortment of western used body parts and trim parts and a full line of new and rebuilt mechanical and electrical parts, check our prices before buying elsewhere; now starting our 32nd year of service and integrity to Cadillac owners; we accept Visa, MC, AmEx; thank you. Ted M Holcombe, 2933 Century Ln, Bensalem, PA 19020, PH: 215-245-4560, FAX: 215-633-9916; email: holcars@verizon.net N/A

Mike Josephic #3877

You might also try Cadillac USA Parts.  Check thei website.  Mike

TJ H 20664

My guess is that no one makes or has made the Eldo/Toro boot in several years. Shelf rot seems to be a big problem.  None of my parts stores can get the boot by itself but were able to get shaft assys.  The last one I got had so much dust on the box you couldnt read the numbers and it lasted about 500 miles, they got me a warranty replacement that didnt look much better but it so far has held up. I assume there has been enough NOS stuff to keep up with demand that no one has botherd to try and make or tool up to do a run of new ones.   I read somewhere that the RV people (that use the Toro driveline) are using one from a 3/4 Ton Chev 4x4, I wonder if this is what your mechanic was using that had the narrow band?

TJ H
73 Eldo Convert(s)
78 CDV
StPaul/Mpls MN USA

denise 20352

Just as a general piece of advice, Ive heard that the left axle can by used in place of the right one with the torsional damper.  If that is indeed the case, do it.  I got my 70 Toro with bad CV boots and joints clattering around turns.  200,000 miles and 12 years later, I had the same bad CV boots and joints clattering around turns.  The boots werent torn, just unclamped, so most of the time they were doing their job, I guess.  I repacked the bearings every now and then, and they never gave me any trouble.  However, I did have a torsional damper come apart, and when that happens, you go nowhere.  Youll get some warning, a CLUNK when you press and release the gas pedal which gets gradually worse, but when it goes, the whole thing just comes apart.

-denise