News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Rare Cadillac item -The Penalty of Leadership 1915

Started by Doug Scarrow CLC#22309, January 27, 2007, 07:36:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Scarrow CLC#22309

A rare  chance to own a truly rare piece of Cadillac History
 A lovely copy of the January 2nd 1915 Saturday Evening Post
 with the original Penalty of Leadership full page ad

This ad deserves to be framed
  For auction at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=016&sspagename=STRK3AMESE3AIT&viewitem=&item=260080877283&rd=1,1 TARGET=_blank>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=016&sspagename=STRK3AMESE3AIT&viewitem=&item=

Doug Houston

This throws back to the fine old days of construction, when creativity was valued, and even in advertising,would set milestones that rarely, if ever were surpassed. A  few years ago; probably 20 years by now, Cadillac was giving out framable copies of this ad, on fine paper, abour 15" X 20". I have mine framed in my artifact room. Im glad that I was able to get it when I could. It surely is a masterpiece.  This page will probably go for a goodly sum.

Yann Saunders, CLC #12588

This one is the best, no doubt about it. It was a time when you didnt need to even show a picture of what you were offering. Todays selling points are a Bose sound system, a 100,000 mi warranty (if you keep the car that long), triple air bags and good collision ratings. Personnally, I prefert NO airbags and a defensive style of driving.

Paul W Allen CLC #20193

Yes, and lets not forget the main reason that GM says you should buy their cars these days...they have "OnStar!!"

Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Paul,

That, on its own would be a good reason for me not buying a new car.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV - with no tracking system.

Fred #23106

Quote per Paul: "Yes, and lets not forget the main reason that GM says you should buy their cars these days...they have "OnStar!!"

I bought a new HHR last year and it came with OnStar, which I didnt want, but accepted as the car was in stock and was the right color. It added $695 to the cost and I never used it. They use plenty of "fear tactics" to promote OnStar, telling us that if the car breaks down in a bad area, help is on the way, if the car is stolen, they can find it, if we lock ourself out of the car, they can unlock it, etc.

Later, I received letters and phone calls from OnStar to renew and I finally told the callers that I didnt want it, as I have a cell phone and asked that they not contact me again. I think it took 2 or 3 tries to get them to leave me alone.  Regarding the above: If car breaks down, I have a cell phone to call for a ride home or for a tow. If car is stolen, I have insurance,  etc.  It is hard to lock yourself out of a car today with all of the signal bells, but if I do, I cant get into the car to call Onstar anyhow.  This is progress ? ?

Fred

Paul W Allen CLC #20193

Yup! The recent Buick commercials come to mind. No mention at all about the cars performance or styling, but rather the tracking system telling the driver to turn left or right in a maze! AMAZING! Or, the one with Tiger Woods. The BIG point being that it had heated winshield washer fluid.
I dont know, but in my mind, if you want the people to buy your car, you have to market the CAR itself, not just the accessories. I do have to say that the new Cadillac ad that shows all the old cadillacs up through the years is excellent. GM needs to do more of that.   Soon.

Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine
no OnStar
no GPS
no heated winshield washer fluid
just a good old Cadillac

Dave K

Paul, I love the tag

Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine
no OnStar
no GPS
no heated winshield washer fluid
just a good old Cadillac[/quote]

Id have to add to mine:
No AC...

Dave
(55 Coupe)

John Dennis #17123

This ad was great and it represented a great model year car. I have just recently sold my 1915 Cadillac model 51 7 passenger to the General Motors Heritage Center. I am told it is going into the permanent collection. From a historic standpoint this model year represented many technological advances. Thank you Henry and Wilford Leland.

John Dennis #17123