News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Identifying Horns

Started by John Morris #23947, December 11, 2007, 01:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Morris #23947

I'm reading the numbers on 57-58 horns. There are 3 digits. I see 353 and 354, and in the Master Parts List I see these are low and high notes, as these are the last 3 numbers on the longer part numbers. I now have a horn marked 325, a low note. But these numbers are not at the tail of any part numbers on the list. Does anyone know what this 325 horn is? It looks just like the other low note horn.
71 Olds 98 LS, 66 Fairlane 500 XL Convertible, 55 Packard Clipper Super, 58 Edsel Ranger, 72 Cheyenne Super, many 49-60 parts cars, abandoned "House Of Doom" full of 49-60 parts. Huge piles of engine parts, brackets, tin, Hydramatic & Jetaway parts,  thousands of stainless moldings, dozens of perfect sedan doors.

John Morris #23947

Aoso, each horn has what looks like an adjusting screw. Does anyone know what this is? Here's a picture.
71 Olds 98 LS, 66 Fairlane 500 XL Convertible, 55 Packard Clipper Super, 58 Edsel Ranger, 72 Cheyenne Super, many 49-60 parts cars, abandoned "House Of Doom" full of 49-60 parts. Huge piles of engine parts, brackets, tin, Hydramatic & Jetaway parts,  thousands of stainless moldings, dozens of perfect sedan doors.

John Morris #23947

Last question. I found in my "Room Of Doom" a trumpet horn shaped like a big L, a right angle. It eith came from the atom bomb shelter full of 56 stuff, or the abandoned semi trailer full of 59-60 stuff found in the worst neighborhood of Chicago. Those were my 2 "Tuts Tomb" finds. Can anyone ID this right angle trumpet horn?

John Morris #23947

Here's a picture of the trumpet. It says AUTO-LITE on the dome.

Mark

Quote from: John Morris #23947 on December 11, 2007, 03:12:45 PM

Here's a picture of the trumpet. It says AUTO-LITE on the dome.

I've got one of those too - be interested to find out what it fits.

Need to work a little more on training the cat to hide the secret trap door. 

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

John--that adjustment screw lets you adjust voltage to the horn.

This also effects the tone.  If the horn will not function or has poor
tone (like a grunting noise) then moving this screw a 5th of a turn or
so at a time will bring it to life.  Have to be careful not to go overboard
with the adjustment as that will burn the horn out. 

See the shop manual for the full procedure.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region