News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Question on 1930-31 V-16 fuel system

Started by veesixteen, December 12, 2007, 07:39:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

veesixteen

Question received by Yann Saunders.  He does not have the answer; can anyone help Robert?

My name is Robert and I am trying to find information on the fuel system for a 1931 Cadillac V-16 Roadster. The car recently ran out of fuel and I cannot get the fuel system re-primed to be able to re-start the engine. I see it has two vacuum operated fuel pumps mounted on each side of the firewall. However I don’t see how or where it gets vacuum from in this situation where you can’t use engine vacuum. I’m sure its something simple. However I would like to get some information on how the system operates before I try to fix it without having any knowledge of how the system works. Thanks

Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

harry s

There is a plug on the top of each vacuum tank that you remove and fill each tank with gas until you hear a "click". The gas is gravity fed to each carb and then it should start.
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Peter Nieuwlandt

Hi Robert

The 31 V16's and V12's I've seen and worked on had a seperate vacuum pump on the end of the engine.
This vacuum pump puts out a constant pressure of about 4 psi and help to siphon out the fuel in the gas tank to the small reservoir wich is mounted on the firewall from out of wich the gravity carburators are fed.
this all migth sound a bit complicated but this system is so very simple with normally low maintenance.
Your problem migth be that 1/the vacuum pump has gone bad or 2/ there is a leak somewhere in the system.
Maybe You better check Your car first with this info and if You need some more info just let me know
Peter
Peter Nieuwlandt
CLC 17863