News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1976 Eldorado hard to re-start

Started by Matt, December 13, 2007, 06:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

I have my 76 Eldo for few years now and it’s always hard to re-start the engine. You can normally start it with two pumps from a cold start but once I drive it to normal temperature stop for few minutes and try to re-start it, it takes forever. I tried one pump, two pumps, no pumps eventually it always starts. I had the carp rebuild with new choke but still the same problem. I just changed the carb to a new Edelbrock 650 works great except I have the same problem. I checked the choke again I even had a mechanic fine-tune the carb and the engine (changed the plugs & wires, new advance vacuum, adjust the distributor advance etc.) but same problem. I notice though if you don’t pump the accelerator at all it starts the quickest. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Matt

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Matt,

Could it be that the Cranking of the Starter Motor is "taking" all the power away from the Coil, and therefore the capacity for the plugs to actually "Spark" sufficiently to ignite the mixture is not as it should be?

Sounds like it is a "heat-related" electrical issue here.

Have you checked to see if there is still a good connection between the Coil and the Starter Motor Solenoid on the "R" terminal?

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Strange things happen as things get hot.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

Take the air cleaner off with it warmed up and running, shut it off and look down the carb and see what is happening.  When I do that on my 73 I see some fuel dump in right away (some sort of float issue) then after a few minutes I can hear and see the fuel boil in the bowl.  Some bubbles out and ends up slightly flooding the engine while leaving the bowl empty.  If its summer and I seek out non oxy preimum fuel its alright except on very hot days.  I ended up buying an electric fan and mounting it infront of the radiator and hooking it to a mechanical wind up timer.  When I shut the car off I just wind the timer up to about 15 mins.  It worked for me for 10 years.  Last year I rebuilt the motor and the carb and it was worse so I went EFI.  Those are just hot running cars/engines that dont like all the crap in todays fuels.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Matt

Bruce,
I'm starting to also think it is a heat related problem. What would be an easy way to check the starter Motor & Solenoid connections where is the "R" terminal. The plug wires are new and the battary is also new.
Thanks,
Matt

Matt

TJH,
I used to have that problem but now I have a new Carb so I doubt if that's the problem but I will try it.
Thanks,
Matt

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Matt on December 14, 2007, 04:42:55 PM
Bruce,
I'm starting to also think it is a heat related problem. What would be an easy way to check the starter Motor & Solenoid connections where is the "R" terminal. The plug wires are new and the battary is also new.    Thanks,    Matt   
G'day Matt,

The only real way to check the Starter is to pull it out, and have it checked.

You must remember that when these cars were new, there was never a problem, but things wear out, and the Starter Motor really has a lot to do, and is one part of the vehicle that is the most difficult to get to, and therefore, usually the last part to be looked at.

With the Starter Motor out, the Wiring to the coil can be checked with a Multimeter, etc, and when looking at the Starter, always check the condition of the Contacts within the cap of the Solenoid.

It is not necessary to undo the nut on the Top pole where the Battery Cable attaches or the "R" terminal, as this terminal is the one that only receives power via the "moving disc" within the Solenoid when the Solenoid is activated.   I have found on many occasions that the Terminal that the Battery Cable attaches to only requires rotating 180 degrees to obtain a "Fresh" contact.

You will  be really surprised just how eaten away they can be after years of arcing.

Bruce.  >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon