News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Eldorado Firemist Paint, How To Match Exactly??

Started by John Morris #23947, December 14, 2007, 11:48:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Morris #23947

I know this isn't a V-16 or 59 Biarritz, but I've fallen for my 70 Eldo like Don Knotts fell for a skinny weak flat chested buck toothed girl. It is green, but I want to paint it a bright gold, not a pastel gold. 70 is a little new for me and I know Eldo's offered an expensive firemist paint option, in many colors. I can't seen to find any info on this firemist paint. Was it just a semi metallic? What did it look like? Can it be matched with paint chips? Or, should I go aftermarket gold with pearl and clearcoat? I din't care about originality, just looks. I want a beautiful bright solid gold, unless that firemist gets good raves.
71 Olds 98 LS, 66 Fairlane 500 XL Convertible, 55 Packard Clipper Super, 58 Edsel Ranger, 72 Cheyenne Super, many 49-60 parts cars, abandoned "House Of Doom" full of 49-60 parts. Huge piles of engine parts, brackets, tin, Hydramatic & Jetaway parts,  thousands of stainless moldings, dozens of perfect sedan doors.

Tom Hall 7485

I think you want Regency Bronze Firemist for 1970.  Don't be misled by the name; bronze color it wasn't.  It was a shocking, metallic yellow.  As a Firemist paint, it had lots of metallic in it and was at extra charge.  Color number 94.  Low production.  A pain to match for spot repairs, but if you are thinking pearlescent, then ease of spot repairs probably isn't tops on your list.

Tom Hall, CLC Member 7485, Lifetime member since the mid-1990s.

John Morris #23947

WOW! That is one nice Eldo. I've always thought the 70 had the most spectacular frontend and tail lights of the 67-70 1st gen front wheel drive cars. And, the 70 is the most powerful front wheel drive car ever built. I want the gold paint to look like I took a gold bullion bar and polished it up to 1500 grit and clearcoated it.
71 Olds 98 LS, 66 Fairlane 500 XL Convertible, 55 Packard Clipper Super, 58 Edsel Ranger, 72 Cheyenne Super, many 49-60 parts cars, abandoned "House Of Doom" full of 49-60 parts. Huge piles of engine parts, brackets, tin, Hydramatic & Jetaway parts,  thousands of stainless moldings, dozens of perfect sedan doors.

CaddyShackPA

My '69 is chalice gold firemist but it's much darker than what you seem to be after. I think there was another gold - Shalimar? - that was brighter / more yellow. Sorry for the lousy pics - just trying to show the color.

Regards,
Jeff   #23864

J. Papciak   #23864     
'59 Coupe DeVille
'69 Eldorado  
'72 Coupe DeVille  
'77 Seville
‘81 Fleetwood Brougham  
‘89 Brougham 
'92 Sedan DeVille  
‘95 Fleetwood  
'02 STS   '10 CTS-V   ‘17 CTS

Tom Hall 7485

The Eldo that South_Paw is referring to (tag DPA 1767) appears to be Regency Bronze Firemist (RBF).  There's a little orange in RBF, unlike the Byzantine Gold for 1970, which has a little green in it.  (Mr. Goldfinger, you said your car is green.  If the interior isn't black or white with black components, what are you going to do about the interior color?  A car with green carpet/instrument panel/visors/seat belts and RBF paint would look a little odd....)  If you want more orange in the paint, you may like Cinnamon Firemist, shown in the 1970 catalogue.
Tom Hall, CLC Member 7485, Lifetime member since the mid-1990s.

76eldo

"Back in the day" I had a Gold 1970 Deville Convertible, with a black top and black leather interior.  It was a good looking car, ran great, and was replaced with a black 76 Eldo convertible.

In looking at the chip chart, I would say it was the Byzantine gold.  It was a firemist color, and had small metallic in it.

Here is a photo of a 69 Eldo that I bought a wile ago, and sold.  It's black with a funky gold 2 tone...
Here is a link to info on it:

http://www.sheffieldgarage.com/eldo/1969eldorado.htm

I wish I had some more garage space, because I think that the 67 through 70 Eldorados are a great buy right now, and the 70 is the king of the hill as far as HP goes.

If you paint it a stock Cadillac color, even if it's not the correct color for the car, you will be better off for a lot of reasons.

Good luck,

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

John Morris #23947

Though my 70 is painted green, the interior is not green, it is is a beige or very light tan, which would look AOK with gold.

Brett

If you don't care about originality, check out the PPG Vibrance line. Vibrance is PPG's line of custom colors. They sell the chips/decks on eBay sometimes. They have a gold that will look exactly like gold bullion. These are some of the colors that custom cars and motorcycles use. Some are 3 stage, base, tint, and clear. These colors are absolutely incredible. Anyone who carries PPG can get them, sometimes you will need to wait a day though but they are certainly available.

I used PPG vibrance on my bronco, but lucked out and found a stock color, Land Rover 'Giverny Green' for my 71. Giverny when shined up looks like the color of a $100 bill!

Please no flames guys, but if you are looking for the most striking gold, I think you can do much better than an original firemist paint, which will be hard to match by code anyway. Judging by the content and tone of your original post, I think you will find a gold in there that will simply blow you away! ;D