News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Manual Steering lubricant specification

Started by vicbrincat, December 20, 2007, 04:22:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vicbrincat

I've just been on a wild goose chase tracking down a
lubricant for the steering box of my '48.

I went so far as calling Shell Canada and they were
helpful..but had no positive answer. They don't have a
product that meets the required spec...hard to believe
(I know).

The manual calls for a lubricant which meets GM spec
GM4673M. No one at the GM dealerships knows what I'm
talking about..despite showing them the shop manual.
So my question is what can I use that will be
satisfactory?

What is everyone else using for their manual steering system?

Thanks in advance.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Vic:

GM lube spec 4673M is nothing more that what used to be called
90 weight MP (Multi Purpose Grear Lube). 

If you can't get a straight a 90 weight, 80W-90 should work fine.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Vic,

Mike is correct. But with years of wear I choose to use grease in the manual gear box 90% and 10% gear lube (90/80 weight) this lubricates the box, but does not leak out.

A lot of the rebuilders suggest this. I've found great on manual gear boxes.

I used the following:

Gear Box Lube

Auto Restorer, April 2004, page 8

Gm Steering box lube (sold by Zip Products at 800+962-9632 under part number SC-601) with excellent results.

I have also used modern CV joint lube, which is available from any auto parts store. The GM Steering box lube and CV joint lube both have the consistency of light grease, making them less prone to leak past questionable seals.

John Washburn
CLC #1067

John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

Jeff Maltby 4194

Quote: I have both current experience and experience when the cars were new with putting chassis lube in steering boxes of old Cadillacs.

First with the current experience.  I have owned my 40 LaSalle for 10 years and one of the first things that I did was to put chassis lube in the box.  It leaked fluid like s sieve.  That was 10 years ago and so far it hasn't leaked a drop.  In that time I have driven it to 8 consecutive Grand Nationals with out any problems.

And now the old experience.  Since the day they were built leakage of grease from the boxes was a problem.  In the dealership that I worked, it was common practice when we had a complaint, to drain the gear lube out and replace it with chassis lube.  And I remember doing it to cars that were quite new, say 6 months old.

To do it it is best to drain the grease out of the box by loosening the 4 bolts that hold the front bearing cap of the worm gear about 2 turns and let it stand over night.  Tighten the bolts back up and fill the box with Chassis lube.  We made a special tool to do this by getting a pipe plug (1/2" as I remember) and drill and tap the plug so that a Zirck fitting could be installed in it.  This was screwed into the steering box and grease was applied.  In this way you could completely fill the box with grease without any air pockets.

If you try to fill it with grease directly from the grease gun you will get a lot of air trapped in the box.  It works great and is a lot easier to do than re-sealing the box.  Perhaps modern seals will do a better job than the old leather seals that were in common use in the 40's and 50's but this is so easy and works so well that I wouldn't do it any other way.

Frank D. MR. Forty Lasalle :<)
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Jeff Kay CLC#7630

I use STP Oil Treatment in the manual steering box of my 1941 Cadillac, and about 12 other cars.  My father, who restored cars professionally for over 35 years, told me this trick.  I've also used it in my 1940 LaSalle, which was an everyday driver for over 10 years.  Never leaked a drop, easy to find in any auto parts store, and cheap.  My last bottle cost me $0.99