News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

2004 Seville Message Tonight "Snapshot Taken"?

Started by Matt CLC #18621, December 06, 2007, 12:11:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt CLC #18621

Tonight while leaving the Nets game at the IZOD Arena in ~25 degree NJ weather, the message center indicated "Snapshot Taken" ;what does "Snapshot Taken" mean?  I always keep message center on external temperature mode.

Thanks,

Matt

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Matt,
I've been thinking about this since you posted.  I wonder if it could be the "black box" recording an attempted auto theft while you were at the game, i.e. using a remote and/or Pass-key (tm) not programmed/chipped for your car. If you get a definitive answer on this, please post it as I'm curious.

homeonprunehill

Quote from: Matt CLC #18621 on December 06, 2007, 12:11:21 AM
Tonight while leaving the Nets game at the IZOD Arena in ~25 degree NJ weather, the message center indicated "Snapshot Taken" ;what does "Snapshot Taken" mean?  I always keep message center on external temperature mode.
Thanks,Matt

12-09-07
Matt, IN MHO you should either, 1. be talking to your service manager OR 2. break-out the owners manual, could be that since the massage appeared on the message board, could be the OBD unit may have detected a "minor" fault in some system.
GOOD LUCK,JIM
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Matt CLC #18621 on December 06, 2007, 12:11:21 AM
Tonight while leaving the Nets game at the IZOD Arena in ~25 degree NJ weather, the message center indicated "Snapshot Taken" ;what does "Snapshot Taken" mean?  I always keep message center on external temperature mode.     Thanks,    Matt   
Don't suppose it means that someone has taken a picture of your lovely car, seeing as you keep the message centre on "External"?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Mark

Your question got me wondering.  I did a search using the criteria: "snapshot taken" cadillac message and this is what I found.

Got kids?  Maybe one of them was diagnosing a service problem in your car?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SELECTING "CLEAR CODES?"

Selection of the CLEAR CODES? test type will result in the message CODES CLEAR being displayed alone with the selected system name. this message will appear for 3 seconds to indicated that all stored trouble codes have been erased from that system's memory. After 3 seconds the display will automatically return to the next available test type for the selected system. SELECTING "SNAPSHOT?"See Figure 26

Selection of the SNAPSHOT? test type will result in the message SNAPSHOT TAKEN being displayed with the selected system name preceding it. This message will appear for 3 seconds to indicate that all system data and inputs have been stored in memory. After 3 seconds the display will automatically proceed to the first available snapshot test type (i.e. SNAP DATA). While selecting a snapshot test type, any of the following actions may be taken to control the display.

This ECM snapshot feature is included to assist in diagnosis of intermittent problems. The ECM snapshot selection will store one set of all of the ECM data parameter values and output status indications at the time that the snapshot is requested. To use the snapshot, enter the diagnostics and allow the Climate Control Drive Information Center (CCDIC) to idle at ECM SNAPSHOT. When intermittent condition occurs, or when the parameters are to be recorded, press HI and hold until the message ECM SNAPSHOT TAKEN appears. The ECM snapshot taken message indicates that the data is now stored for review.

Depressing the OFF button on the CCP will stop the test type selection process and return the display to the next available system selection.

Depressing the LO button will display the next available snapshot test type. this allows the display to be stepped through all available choices. This list of snapshot test types can be repeated following the display of the last choice.

Depressing the HI button with SNAP DATA? or SNAP INPUTS? displayed will select that test type. At this point the display is controlled as it would be for non-snapshot data and inputs displays, however, all values and status information represents memorized vehicle conditions.

Depressing the HI button with SNAPSHOT? displayed will again display the SNAPSHOT TAKEN message to indicate that new information has been stored in memory. Access to this information is obtained the same as previously described.

EXITING THE SERVICE MODETo get out of the service mode, depress the Reset/Recall button on the DIC or turn the ignition switch off. Trouble codes are not erased when this is done.

(add the w w w . at the beginning of the link below:)
autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/15/8e/84/0900823d80158e84/repairInfoPages.htm

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Mark,

Thanks for posting that.

Now I am reinforced in why I don't want a new car.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

OBD2 systems have what most people call a 'freeze frame' feature when a code is set (check engine light) in the computer it automatically stores a shot of some of the data at the time of the fault to help trouble shoot the problem. I wonder if its the same thing and you may have some code stored in the system?  Not all codes trip the light or leave it on.  There are also 'pending' codes that have to happen a few times in a row before tripping the light so you may have something brewing.   Im guessing somewhere in the menus that mark listed you should be able to read the codes.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Matt CLC #18621

Cadillac service manager advised me that the SLS performed a self-diagnosis in the cold weather when the heated seats were activated (all four were activated).  There was a loose driver’s side wire on the heated seat that was repaired this October last.  I have the SLS scheduled for an appointment this Wednesday to review and clear codes.  The SLS DRIVE'S LIKE A DREAM, up until my Friend collects me in his 2008 MB S600 which is an absolute performance machine.  I love my American cars, I wish my colleagues felt the same way!

Thanks,

Matt

Matt CLC 18621

Service Electrical System message appeared.  Computer had to be replaced.  Week later the battery had to be replaced.  The self-diagnosis system is wonderful!

Quote from: Matt CLC #18621 on December 10, 2007, 09:20:08 PM

Cadillac service manager advised me that the SLS performed a self-diagnosis in the cold weather when the heated seats were activated (all four were activated).  There was a loose driver’s side wire on the heated seat that was repaired this October last.  I have the SLS scheduled for an appointment this Wednesday to review and clear codes.  The SLS DRIVE'S LIKE A DREAM, up until my Friend collects me in his 2008 MB S600 which is an absolute performance machine.  I love my American cars, I wish my colleagues felt the same way!

Thanks,

Matt