News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1964 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible OR Fleetwood

Started by Matt CLC #18621, December 21, 2007, 08:40:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt CLC #18621

Hasn't this come up before that there was no Biarritz trim option offered on the 1964 Eldorado and that the Eldorado was designated as the Fleetwood Eldorado from 1964 through late 1976?

Item number: 280185703096

What does the 1964 Eldorado literature indicate?

Beautiful car Peter!

Thanks,

Matt

Johnny F #662

Quote from: Matt CLC #18621 on December 21, 2007, 08:40:51 AM
Hasn't this come up before that there was no Biarritz trim option offered on the 1964 Eldorado and that the Eldorado was designated as the Fleetwood Eldorado from 1964 through late 1976?

Beautiful car Peter!

Thanks,

Matt

I believe beginning in 1964 when Cadillac started using the wreath and crest badges for the Fleetwood series, that the Eldorado was a Fleetwood "series" model  I also believe that the Biarritz designation was revived with the '79 Eldorado's, with the most noticeable feature being the stainless steel roof.  I think the seller took some liberty with the "Corniche" designation.  Corniche was a Rolls Royce model.

The miles on the odometer isn't the same as being advertised.  I the curb feelers and speakers mounted in the doors are less then factory.

Matt CLC #18621

A Custom Biarritz option arrived late in the model year [1976]. That one included thick padding on back roof area, a limousine-style backlight, opera lamps. chrome molding along fenderline, and Sierra Grain pillow-soft leather seats. The package came with or without an Astroroof or sunroof. Eldo held the dubious record of being the world's biggest car with front-wheel drive--delivering gas mileage to prove it. Back in '76, though, the coupe got far less attention than the convertible, simply because this was the final year for any GM ragtop. Though hardly rare with 14,000 copies rolling off the line, they gained considerable media coverage and the covetous attention of speculators hoping to profit mightily from the last of a long line of open- topped Caddies. Except for the final 200 all-white examples, Eldorado's convertible top came in white, black, dark blue, firethorn, dark blue-green, buckskin, or ivory color.

Quote from: Johnny F #662 on December 21, 2007, 09:39:48 AM

Beautiful car Peter!

Thanks,

Matt

I believe beginning in 1964 when Cadillac started using the wreath and crest badges for the Fleetwood series, that the Eldorado was a Fleetwood "series" model  I also believe that the Biarritz designation was revived with the '79 Eldorado's, with the most noticeable feature being the stainless steel roof.  I think the seller took some liberty with the "Corniche" designation.  Corniche was a Rolls Royce model.

The miles on the odometer isn't the same as being advertised.  I the curb feelers and speakers mounted in the doors are less then factory.

Johnny F #662

Quote from: Matt CLC #18621 on December 22, 2007, 01:31:00 PM
A Custom Biarritz option arrived late in the model year [1976]. That one included thick padding on back roof area, a limousine-style backlight, opera lamps. chrome molding along fenderline, and Sierra Grain pillow-soft leather seats. The package came with or without an Astroroof or sunroof. Eldo held the dubious record of being the world's biggest car with front-wheel drive--delivering gas mileage to prove it. Back in '76, though, the coupe got far less attention than the convertible, simply because this was the final year for any GM ragtop. Though hardly rare with 14,000 copies rolling off the line, they gained considerable media coverage and the covetous attention of speculators hoping to profit mightily from the last of a long line of open- topped Caddies. Except for the final 200 all-white examples, Eldorado's convertible top came in white, black, dark blue, firethorn, dark blue-green, buckskin, or ivory color.

Good memory Matt, I forgot all about those late '76 Eldo Biarritz's, and the subsequent 77's and 78's.  Speaking of long Eldorado's, I believe with the introduction of the 1977 Cadillac models, and up until 1979, the Eldorados were the longest Cadillacs of the regular line, by almost a full 3 inches.  224" vs 221.2" for the rest of the line.

Peter H. Luft clc#19778

Oh Matt........We have been thru this before and the GM factory sales manual (The extensive ordering book) mentions the option as a Biarritz  for the Bucket Seat Model, it's true all the Eldorado's in 64 were supplied by Fleetwood Division...also  the car when I purchased same and was inspected by the State of Ohio State Highway Patrol showed 31K miles, the reset did not work correctly and was fixed there by showing the new figure since fixed, but there again it could have 100K, 200K,300K, 400K, 500K, 600K ( you get the point) extra miles who only knows at this point...yes the four speakers look like heck and the curb feelers, Yes thay keep the nice white walls free of curb rash, the car was not previously on ebay and ALL in All is a pretty nice car, an 8 - 8.5, it has been enjoyed by me and it is time to move on to its new owner......................Matt these as well as the above are answers to some of the questions received...the best one is NO it did not have a Powerglide transmission, it was the first year for the 400TH tranny and no it didn't have a stainless convertible top................Oh what fun the Club in which I belong to is.......Still keeping the Triple Aqua one, have two Semi-Trailer loads of parts, a lot of NOS and a lot from several parts cars purchased over the years....YEP The parts are FOR SALE too.....Thank You for the compliment on the beautiful car.............the Corniche part was just marketing so a RR person might look at a very nice Ole Eldo, check it out, it looks great among those Old Corniches and they have good buyers too................................Just a lovin' those Ole 43 - 44 year old Eldo's.
You guys missed the extra screws in the door panels, one in each door, now tell me where they are ( No not where the four ugly speakers are ). Have FUN.
.......................Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to all, "The 64 Eldo Guy", peter

Matt CLC #18621

Again, Peter, beautiful car!!!!

Peter,

When we corresponded years back during your search, if I remember correctly, your quest was for a triple black with buckets? 

I don’t have the 64 literature, so I am not sure if Biarritz was a trim option in 64, does this 64 Eldorado have a Biarritz badge on the interior/exterior?  One more question, is the body by Fleetwood or Fischer?

http://[color=green]merry%20christmas%20[/color] and http://[i][b][color=blue]happy%20new%20year%20peter![/color][/b][/i]

I

Beautiful car Peter!

Thanks,

Matt

Johnny F #662

Quote from: Matt CLC #18621 on December 23, 2007, 12:08:30 PM
  One more question, is the body by Fleetwood or Fischer?

It is my understanding that when GM acquired the Fleetwood company, the bodies were made by Fischer, but they used the Fleetwood name to designate the upper end Cadillacs.

Fleetwood Metal Body was an automobile coachbuilder purchased by Fisher Body and integrated into General Motors. The name derives from Fleetwood, Pennsylvania, home of the company at the start, and lived on for decades in the form of the Cadillac Fleetwood and various Fleetwood trim lines on Cadillac cars.

The company was formed on April 1, 1909. It was a top-tier producer of metal and wood automobile bodies. Fleetwood bodies graced cars owned by Royalty of India and Japan, American presidents, and screen stars like Rudolph Valentino. Fisher produced bodies on chassis from Bentley, Cadillac, Chadwick, Daniels, Duesenberg, Fiat, Isotta Fraschini, Mercedes-Benz, Packard, Pierce-Arrow, Reading, Rolls Royce, SGV, and Stutz.

Fleetwood was purchased by Fisher in 1925, moved to Detroit, and integrated into General Motors in 1931.

Peter H. Luft

Well it is SOLD.................The Beautiful Triple Black Eldo ...............is headed for Southeastern Florida country.................................Will miss this baby, but as we all know, we only get to use them a while...........Happy with the sale and pulled it off Ebay, several people were dissappointed by doing such, however I'm pleased................with the deal made............................................................"The 64 Eldo Guy"

To the folks following the 64 Eldorado..."The Beautiful Car" and it is.................The Biarritz option was only shown in the Factory  Dealers Ordering Book...................No it was not in the form of an Emblem on the car, NOR was it mentioned in the Factory sales brochures offered to the public......................The ONLY place that I have seen it was in the Factory ordering manuals ( size about 5" x 8 1/2") it may have also been mentioned in the Factory Option pages, which went into a full 8 1/2" x 11" manual used to educated sales persons of Cadillac dealerships.
Regarding the word Corniche in my ebay ad, that was strictly my way to let Rolls Royce owners know that the Beautiful Triple Black Eldorado was for sale under the 1964 Cadillac section of ebay.................by the way that is where my buyer saw the car first...............so sometimes Marketing helps........................Wishing you all a Happy New Year.

By the way, had emails from members telling me that the car was not a Corniche and I must be insane to advertise same in that group..............That the car had a powerglide transmission not a turbo 400...........Why did it not have a Stainless Steel roof............One fellow said he would give up his right and left arms to own it and would figure out how to drive it that way later, only if he could afford to buy it, a Lincoln owner and his car was a reall good looker.....Oh the club in which I belong, makes me wonder sometimes.............and last but not least I still have two semi-trailer load of parts some used, some NOS and only one 64 Eldo left......................sooooooooooooooooo. these parts are FOR SALE. Would like to sell all of them in one lot sooooooooooooooooo the price shall be right........................peter

Peter H. Luft

Matt.............................Fleetwood body by Fisher........................the sill moulding show Fleetwood, The seat skirt shows Fleetwood....body by fisher..........................now let the disscussions flow, peter

That a look at the seat skirt in the ad photos, on the right side.

By the way there are two extra screws in the door panels can anyone tell me where they are ?.............. ( no not in the ugly speakers)

Johnny F #662

I think a good lesson is to be learned by this experience.  Basically when dealing with eBay to either buy or sell a vehicle, people should keep in mind that its "rules of advertising" is determined by the users, and not everyone is a "expert" on Cadillacs.  Although I am completely against people sending insulting emails regarding their vehicle that is for sale, sellers should be prepared for less then friendly comments concerning their ad, by those who like to show off with all their knowledge and expertise.

Matt CLC #18621

Again, Peter, beautiful car; Congratulations on the eBay sale!!

Happy New Year!

Matt

Quote from: Peter H. Luft on December 26, 2007, 05:48:18 PM
Matt.............................Fleetwood body by Fisher........................the sill moulding show Fleetwood, The seat skirt shows Fleetwood....body by fisher..........................now let the disscussions flow, peter

That a look at the seat skirt in the ad photos, on the right side.

By the way there are two extra screws in the door panels can anyone tell me where they are ?.............. ( no not in the ugly speakers)