News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Brake Light Problem Update

Started by Dennis DiNorcia CLC 19071, December 21, 2007, 11:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis DiNorcia CLC 19071

Just did a preliminary test of the brake lights in my car and it seems when the headlights are on, the third brake light lights very dim. (This should be off if the brakes are not applied) When I remove one of the bulbs, the other one lights up bright. When both are removed, the top two bulbs of each taillight dim. I think the short could be in the third brake light system since when you step on the brake that will light up bright but the taillights dim. Is there a fuse for the third light so I can see if this stops the problem? Thanks for the help.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Dennis DiNorcia CLC 19071 on December 21, 2007, 11:00:22 PM
Just did a preliminary test of the brake lights in my car and it seems when the headlights are on, the third brake light lights very dim. (This should be off if the brakes are not applied) When I remove one of the bulbs, the other one lights up bright. When both are removed, the top two bulbs of each taillight dim. I think the short could be in the third brake light system since when you step on the brake that will light up bright but the taillights dim. Is there a fuse for the third light so I can see if this stops the problem? Thanks for the help.
G'day Dennis,

If there was a short on the Power side of the wiring, the Fuse would blow immediately, of if it was attached to the Headliight Circuit, then the Circuit Breaker would come into play.

So, I believe that the problem will be in a Grounding area, that is somewhere tied in with the Tail Light Circuitry and the Stop Lights.

If your problem was in an English car using Lucas electrics, then you would be in real strife.

Check ALL the Earth (Grounds) from the Battery to the Chassis, Battery to engine, Chassis to Body, Dash Board to Body, Gauge Panel to Body, everywhere.

When did this problem start?   Was it after driving over a rough road?   Putting something heavy or bulky in the Trunk?  A Crash?   A Service?   After you vacuumed out the car?   You do vacuum it out, don't you? 

Lots of possibilities.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Guidematic

Also check all of the bulbs and sockets. A cross feed could be causing the problem.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Mike Jones on December 22, 2007, 12:50:58 AM
Also check all of the bulbs and sockets. A cross feed could be causing the problem.     Mike   
Plus, make sure that someone hasn't tried to insert the wrong type of globe.  Like a single contact in a double contact socket, and vice versa.

PS.   Has to be something really simple.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Glen

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on December 22, 2007, 12:55:36 AM
Quote from: Mike Jones on December 22, 2007, 12:50:58 AM
Also check all of the bulbs and sockets. A cross feed could be causing the problem.     Mike   
Plus, make sure that someone hasn't tried to insert the wrong type of globe.  Like a single contact in a double contact socket, and vice versa.

PS.   Has to be something really simple.

That’s one I had not thought of.  I can see where it would cause something like this. 

Good one, thanks.

Glen

Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104