News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'68 NY Plates...

Started by JTraik, December 27, 2007, 04:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JTraik

I want to get some vintage plates for my '68 DeVille... however I was wondering since I will be restoring the plates if it matters if I get either of these types of plates...

Here is '73-'86

Here is '66-'73

Since the '73 to '86 plates are much more common and obviously cheaper I was wondering if it would be possible just to take one of those and repaint it to the '66-'73 style (which DOES NOT use any reflective coats) 

My only concern is if they have that plate serial in their records for a different style plate... am I going to get any problems?  As far as the repaint and the actual format of the serial... I don't think it will be an issue. 

What do you guys think? 
Jeff

35-709

Some states (such as Florida) will not allow plates that have been repainted or restored.  If you have plates (in Florida) that you want to use and they are a little rusty, (for the really old ones) scratched, chipped, etc., they must be used that way.  A little rubbing compound, a good waxing, or bumping out some dents would be OK. 
Nowadays in Florida if you have a vintage plate you want to use you must go to the DMV, get the proper form, and then send form AND plate to Tallahassee to get it approved, used to be the local DMV office could do it, but no longer.  Been there.   You can find license plate sellers on eBay that sell plates that have never been issued to a car, but of course you take what you can get.  Check with your DMV if no one here can give you a definitive answer for NYS.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Stampie

I'll second ebay as a good cheap place to look for plates.  I think you will be surprised at what you find for the money.

Stampie
If... the machine of government... is of such a nature that it requires you to be the agent of injustice to another, then, I say, break the law.  ~Henry David Thoreau, On the Duty of Civil Disobediance, 1849

If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable.  ~Louis D. Brandeis

JTraik

Just bought a pair for $30.  I figure I will go register the plates and THEN restore them... then I will be set  ;D    Luckily I wont have to change the colors since they are correct plates for a '68 vehicle.
Jeff