News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

speaker impedance

Started by jeff elliott CLC #23590, December 31, 2007, 02:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff elliott CLC #23590

Hi,
does anybody know the impedance of the speakers in a 76 CDV,can' find spec in w/shop manual.
regards Jeff

TJ Hopland

There was a period Gm seemed to like 10 ohms.  I dont remember when that was but I know I have seen them.  Typical single speakers are 8 ohms.  If they are multi way speakers they could be just about anything.   Unless you really plan to push things 8 ohms should be fine with the factory radio.  Going higher will not hurt the amp but may not get as loud.  Going too low can hurt the amp.  Ganging up speakers is where most people get in trouble.  If you hook 2 8 ohm speakers in parallel (thats amp + to + & + and amp- to -&-) you then get 4 ohms.  3 would be 2.6 ohms which is too low for all but the most modern amps.  The other option is a series connection (thats the amp + to + then that - to + and - to the amp-) that would give you 16 ohms which would be safe on any amp just may not be as loud as you want.  You could also do a combination.  Lets say you had 4 8 ohm speakers.  Putting them all in parallel would be 2 ohms and nothing but modern amps will handle that.  If you put them in series you get 32 ohms which is going to eat up all your power without making much sound so what you would do is put 2 in parallel which gives you 4 ohms then series those groups which gets you back to 8 ohms which is what your amp is likely expecting.  How loud that can get is a bit more complex.  More speakers do make more sound but also takes more power so it really depends on the speakers and their locations.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

jeff elliott CLC #23590

thanks for reply,
10 ohm speakers are fitted as standard in my 63, series 62, think they were standard for a few years either side of that date (but not sure). I'm going to bench test the original 76 radio supplied with the 76 CDV, if it's ok, remove modern radio and restore, I'm unable to check speakers right now as the car is tucked up in winter storage, if original radio is ok, a nice summer sunday will see it back to where it belongs.
regards Jeff.