News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1960 Eldorado Brougham #52 for sale [one of only 101 built, 54 survivors]

Started by veesixteen, December 31, 2007, 08:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

veesixteen

The owner called me 4 hours before New Year, asserting that he is the third owner (the first owner was the Cadillac dealer in Gastonia, NC, then his son and now the current owner).  He has looked at the roster of survivors and reckons his car is among the finest; it is a low-mileage survivor and is converted to springs).   I have no details as yet but will keep you all informed.  This is an opportunity NOT to miss.  IMHO it won't be "cheap".
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Stampie

Is this a for sale item?  If so let me know and I will move it to the correct forum with a price of course?

Stampie
If... the machine of government... is of such a nature that it requires you to be the agent of injustice to another, then, I say, break the law.  ~Henry David Thoreau, On the Duty of Civil Disobediance, 1849

If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable.  ~Louis D. Brandeis

veesixteen

Don't yet have a price, Stampie. This is mere noification to potential interested parties.
Vendor is actually thinking Ebay ...so it would go to the highest bidder.  I'm assuming also there will be a reserve price.

Presonally, I think a car like this deserves to be sold privately, at a pre-determined price, to a connoisseur.

Anyway, if there is a fixed price, I'll certainly let y'all know.
Quote from: Michael Stamps on January 01, 2008, 12:56:09 AM
Is this a for sale item?  If so let me know and I will move it to the correct forum with a price of course?

Stampie

Stampie

I loved the one at the GN this year.  Got any pics of this one?

Stampie
If... the machine of government... is of such a nature that it requires you to be the agent of injustice to another, then, I say, break the law.  ~Henry David Thoreau, On the Duty of Civil Disobediance, 1849

If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable.  ~Louis D. Brandeis

Jack McClow CLC #15840

Hi Stampie,

That one is a very nice, original survivor that belongs to John Muller from Atlanta ...... I'm sure he would be more than happy to send you all the pictures you could ever want.  He's owned the car for for about seven years ....... it's still riding on the air suspension.  I believe it spent a good bit of its life in a Cadillac dealer's showroom.  If you want to get in touch with John, he's listed in the CLC directory ...... he's a friend of mine, and a really nice guy.

Jack.

veesixteen

What's the number of John's car, Jack?  Is it listed in the roster of survivors?  Could you get me a couple of pics too ?
Thanks, and Happy New Year !

Yann

Quote from: Jack McClow CLC #15840 on January 01, 2008, 11:31:03 PM
Hi Stampie,

That one is a very nice, original survivor that belongs to John Muller from Atlanta ...... I'm sure he would be more than happy to send you all the pictures you could ever want.  He's owned the car for for about seven years ....... it's still riding on the air suspension.  I believe it spent a good bit of its life in a Cadillac dealer's showroom.  If you want to get in touch with John, he's listed in the CLC directory ...... he's a friend of mine, and a really nice guy.

Jack.

Jack McClow CLC #15840

Hi Yann,

I don't know the car's number without getting in touch with John, which I'll do in the morning.  The car was in Savannah for sure, but I've been through hundreds of pictures and I don't see it anywhere, but I'm sure I've seen a picture somewhere ..... I have another disk with photos I need to check ...... I'll find that disk and see if that's where I remember seeing the picture.   Because of the rain, the car didn't come out from under cover much, although it was driven from Atlanta to Savannah and back, while a just restored '64 Eldo rode in John's enclosed trailer.  I also remember the car won an award at the Medowbrook event in 2002, then went on to the 100th anniversary GN ...... I would be very surprised if you don't have it listed in your DataBase, but in a quick search through I didn't find it listed, which I don't understand.  It's late and I have a morning deadline, but then I'll look for the picture that I'm sure I have, and I'll get in touch with John to get the car's build number for you.

Take care,

Jack.

The Tassie Devil(le)

I took this picture at the 2002 GN, and am sorry that I didn't get the Eldorado Brougham completely in the picture.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

35-709

This is the car I believe you are referring to, hard to get a decent picture "underground" in Savannah.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Jack McClow CLC #15840

Thanks, guys, for the pictures ........ yes, that's John's car ........ the same description piece can be seen in both pictures on the ground ..... in front of the car in 2002 and beside the front wheel in 2007.  I still can't believe this car never made it into Yann's DataBase, but if not, then this means he'll pick up another one to list of the 101 built.  I will e-mail John this morning and get the car's build number.

Jack.

veesixteen

Shame on you, Bruce !  So close to one of the as-yet-unlisted "Wonders of the World" and you never got a photo.  Of course, how could you possibly stay focused in front of such an array of beautiful machines ???  Happy New Year to you and Bron !

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on January 02, 2008, 03:02:17 AM
I took this picture at the 2002 GN, and am sorry that I didn't get the Eldorado Brougham completely in the picture.

Bruce. >:D

veesixteen

From the car's location, I'm guessing it's #35, formerly owned by the late Cy Strickler, a Delta airline pilot.  It was Cy who founded the early Brougham Owner's Associaion; he was an Atlanta resident. It was also Cy's work that served as the basis for the Brougham section of the Cadillac Database and, in particular, for the roster of survivors.  It's his "fault" that I got so deeply involved with the Broughams !!!

Quote from: Jack McClow CLC #15840 on January 02, 2008, 10:26:41 AM
Thanks, guys, for the pictures ........ yes, that's John's car ........ the same description piece can be seen in both pictures on the ground ..... in front of the car in 2002 and beside the front wheel in 2007.  I still can't believe this car never made it into Yann's DataBase, but if not, then this means he'll pick up another one to list of the 101 built.  I will e-mail John this morning and get the car's build number.

Jack.

veesixteen

Sorry, I goofed !  The car is actually #87. In fact, I was in touch with John, the current owner, about six years ago. The original owner, Otto Nieman [of Nieman-Marcus ???], used it only as his special event car and it generally stayed in the garage, while two Fleetwoods served as daily drivers. The car was for a long time on display at the Olsen-Todd Cadillac showroom in Central Valley, NY. This one still has the original owner's manual. That said, I wonder who currently owns the Strickler car, formerly of Atlanta.

Quote from: veesixteen on January 02, 2008, 10:42:51 AM
From the car's location, I'm guessing it's #35, formerly owned by the late Cy Strickler, a Delta airline pilot.  It was Cy who founded the early Brougham Owner's Associaion; he was an Atlanta resident. It was also Cy's work that served as the basis for the Brougham section of the Cadillac Database and, in particular, for the roster of survivors.  It's his "fault" that I got so deeply involved with the Broughams !!!

Quote from: Jack McClow CLC #15840 on January 02, 2008, 10:26:41 AM

Jack.

Jeff Maltby 4194

Yann. Don Turkletop (deceased 1997) from the N.calif bay area chapter, restored both a 59 Biarritz and a 60 Eldorado Brougham back in the 90's. Might you have these listed in the survival roster ?

jJffo 49er chapter
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

wrefakis

Hi,Jeff,Bill Refakis here,yes I have don's BIARRITZ in my soon to be public roster,happy new year to all!!!!

Jeff Maltby 4194

Thanks Bill. I had the honor to ride with Don to the 92 AZ G.N back then. Never seen a car gather so much attention wherever we stopped. I believe his brother Bob, might still have the car ?

Jeffo 49er chapter
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

wrefakis

Hi,Jeff,no I did speak with his brother a few years back the car was sold,they are the ultimate fin car,thats for sure!

veesixteen

Hi Jeff.  Yes, Don's 1959 Eldorado Brougham is #43.  It has had quite an international "career" after leaving the USA; first it spent some time in Belgium and now it's in the UK. A minor tragegy befell the car at the first European GN at Zeebrugge, in 2006.  As the owner was maneuvering the car to go to the judging, he side-swiped a low post and did major damage to the rear RH door and fender.  Fortunately, everything was put back to normal after the car got back to England. This is one of the finer survivors. And to think I could have bought it for $2000 in the early seventies !

Quote from: Jeff Maltby 4194 on January 02, 2008, 05:17:02 PM
Yann. Don Turkletop (deceased 1997) from the N.calif bay area chapter, restored both a 59 Biarritz and a 60 Eldorado Brougham back in the 90's. Might you have these listed in the survival roster ?

jJffo 49er chapter

Jeff Maltby 4194

Thanks. The last car Don restored was a 62 Biarritz convertible. I remember the day Bob drove the 59 Biarritz, with Don at the wheel of his 59 Brougham to the N.calif chapter picnic in Portola Park. After we left, we ended up at a house in Redwood City. Under the house was a huge garage full of 59's. There were 2 59-60 Broughams, one was Sophia Lorens and the other was supposedly the Smothers Brothers ? Both needed full resto, while next to these sat an all white 59 Biarritz the owner had paid $3,000 for many years ago as I recall ?

I was working in Oakland at the time Don was restoring the Brougham, so on occassion, I'd spend the night at his house instead of commuting back home. I remember Don saying ! This car is a "Nightmare to work On". His ordeal with the local plating shop ruining several irreplaceable interior parts was another story of frustation.

I attended Don's funeral and paid my last respects to a class act in the Cadillac Lasalle Club.

Amen Don and thanks for all the Memories my friend.

Jeffo 49er chapter
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500