News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

oil pan leak

Started by tommy, January 06, 2008, 11:13:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommy

1994 deville 4.9 what is involved in changing the oil pan gasket??? Does the motor need to be raised??? ect. ect. ect.    THANK YOU

TJ Hopland

Oil pan is one of the few places on those motors I have not had a leak problem.  I never looked at one and wondered if it could be done in the car.  My guess is no.  Are you sure its the pan?  My last one (95 deville) leaked a bit from the valve covers but it turned out that most of the leak was from the distributor and that block that holds the oil filter.   I think there was even an 'update' kit for that oil filter issue.   The dizzy is more complicated because it has to be removed to replace the o ring but the oil filter issue was not too bad to deal with.   It could just be oil running down from when the filter gets changed.  Dont know what they were thinking when they put it there.  I never found a way to change it without at least some minor drips. I think thats when they started giving a free car wash with oil changes.   On the valve covers just check to make sure the bolts are tight.  The gasket is a thin rubber thing that fits in a groove in the cast cover. On mine Im betting that just tightening the bolts would have done the trick but I already had things apart to do the fuel pressure regulator so it was not much more to do the covers.  I dont remember what the pan gasket looked like.  Is it a cast pan? 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

TJ Hopland

After a few emails back and fourth we think his problem may be that block the oil filter mounts on.   I remember replacing seals in  it on my car but dont remember the details or what the parts were. Im thinking it was O rings but there may have also been a gasket or washer.  I got my parts from a dealer but that was a few years ago.  I couldnt find anything on the typical auto parts sites.

Anyone have any part numbers or further info on this repair?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason