News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1953 Windshield install help

Started by Jim Govoni CLC 20546, January 11, 2008, 02:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Govoni CLC 20546

Hello; I am at my wits end with my restoration shop and his "glass man". They are unable to install my original front & rear windshields using Steele Rubber part numbers 70-0590-50 (front) and 70-0693-81 (rear). I went down yesterday to see what they were talking about. They state that the gasket is too big (thick) to fit in the channel. To my very untrained eye it seems like they are correct. I called Steele and they sent perfect diagrams with installation instructions. They still can't get the gasket around the glass and in the channel at the same time. It's as if you have to pull on the sides to get it around the wiper shafts while pressing in at the same time. That along with trying to hold the rope in is impossible. Steel has sold over 500 of these gaskets. Any help or a reference to a shop close to me in Maryland would really help. Thanks,  Jim
1953 Series 62 
1966 Fleetwood 
1969 deVille Convert.
1941 Series 63

homeonprunehill

Quote from: Jim Govoni CLC 20546 on January 11, 2008, 02:39:13 PM
Hello; I am at my wits end with my restoration shop and his "glass man". They are unable to install my original front & rear windshields using Steele Rubber part numbers 70-0590-50 (front) and 70-0693-81 (rear). I went down yesterday to see what they were talking about. They state that the gasket is too big (thick) to fit in the channel. To my very untrained eye it seems like they are correct. I called Steele and they sent perfect diagrams with installation instructions. They still can't get the gasket around the glass and in the channel at the same time. It's as if you have to pull on the sides to get it around the wiper shafts while pressing in at the same time. That along with trying to hold the rope in is impossible. Steel has sold over 500 of these gaskets. Any help or a reference to a shop close to me in Maryland would really help. Thanks,  Jim

01-11-08
JIM, Anyone that sales flat glass should be able to install it. I have a '38 La Salle which I hired an "old glass" guy to install the windshild and am I glad I did. I had new glass made and one was too large,so, he had to take to the shop where he used to work and grind it down some. but it fit.
JIM, I don't know what to tell you. The old glass guy used a rope about 1/4" or maybe even 3/8" in Diameter. And he fitted the glass into the rubber first,then the frame (body of car). Might lube the channel first. Use rubber lube, it will prevent the gasket from stratching. which it sounds like its doing.
Good Luck,JIM

Good Luck,JIM
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Paul Flykt CLC 18899

I had a similar problem with a gasket from Steele. After numerous failed attempts to install the rear windshield in my '57 I finally called Steele. I sent the gasket I had back to them they called and said the gasket was mismarked, not the correct one for my application. The first gasket sent was for a sedan not a coupe. They sent the correct one and it went in the first try.