News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

49 title seurch

Started by piperman, January 12, 2008, 02:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piperman

How would I do a title seurch on a 49 cad. would like to know who the orginal owners where
D John Anderson

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Quote from: piperman on January 12, 2008, 02:10:44 PM
How would I do a title seurch on a 49 cad. would like to know who the orginal owners where

(New Info Added, 1-14-08)

It depends on which state you live in and also which state the car was originally registered in.
All states have different rules and regulations.  If your car was shipped to California, your search
would start there (for example).

However, California only keeps records for 20 years -- so you would be out of luck there.
If you're lucky enough to deal with a state that can search that far back in time -- the cost
is usually nominal, about $25.  Check with the state Department of Motor Vehicles.

Also, be aware that state records available to us do not "cross over" well -- They will tell
you when the car was titled and to whom and where it was sold to and whom -- after
that -- you have to go onto the next state -- if they still have records available.

I tried to chase mine down for 15 years without success.  My '55 Caddy was originally
shipped to CA, then to Wisconsin, then Chicago then there was a 15 year period that
was "open" until I bought it in 1981.  I've never been able to close that gap.

Good luck,

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region