News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Broken hood latch cable on '96 DeVille

Started by veesixteen, January 12, 2008, 03:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

veesixteen

96 Sedan de Ville: does anybody have an easy way to release the hood latch when the cable pull is o/s?
Thanks.
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

harvey b

hello All.not sure what O/S means,if the handle is broken off i use a pair of vise grips to grab the stub.another way is to reach up under the front end and grab the cable housing an give it a yank,sometimes the latch will let go,or you will have to get a wrench on the 3 bolts that hold the actual latch to the rad support and back them out and open the hood with the latch still attached to it.General motors spent a lot of money to make these cars theft proof,so it will not be easy no matter what you do.as for replacing the old cable,i always tie a string on the old one when i pull it out through the firewall,it is nearly impossible to snake it through without a guide of some sort,there is a lot of components in there to block the way,with a string you can pull it up a lot easier.Good luck   thanks Harvey
Harvey Bowness