News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Any ideas how to locate one specific car through the VIN #?

Started by caddykid60, January 11, 2008, 04:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caddykid60

Hi.

I was curious if there is a way to track down a certain production # 1992 Cadillac Brougham by having the VIN#. to find out if any one owns it, or it has been junked, etc.  Any help?  Thanks, MIke
Mike Kelley
1960 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1990 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance
1991 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Wagon

Jim Jordan

I would start by running a carfax on the vehicle.  If it shows still registered, then check with that states DMV for registration information.

Jim

Dennis DiNorcia #19071

I have had this done and not very satisfied with the results. Most of the time a vehicle search through DMV will only show the information on a car in the state it was last registered. The DMV does not do a country wide search of the vehicle. When I moved to New Jersey from New York I owned a 1972 Fleetwood that I took with me. When I heard of this service, I did a NJ search and all I came up with was my name and info. So I did a search in NY and came up with only my info and the previous owner in New York who I bought the car from. It went back no further than that. I was told the car was also registered in Florida but do you want to run a search of all 50 states at $10 to $15 a clip? It is a very helpful tool if there are not many owners and if the car was only registered in one state. I do not recall if Carfax does a search of all states. This is something to consider before waisting money on a DMV title search. When I tried to do a search of my 1968 Plymouth Road Runnner in New York, they took my $15.00 and after several weeks came back with a reply that no vehicles over 25 years could be researched. They did not return the fee. Typical of New York. Good luck in your search.

Michael Kelley

Hi.  I was thinking about going through Car Fax.  I have the VIN# of the last 1992 Cadillac Brougham built.  I don't know if Carfax will tell me any information.  I'd like to know if the last one built is still on the road or available for sale.

OK

Quote from: Dennis DiNorcia #19071 on January 15, 2008, 05:41:29 PMWhen I tried to do a search of my 1968 Plymouth Road Runnner in New York, they took my $15.00 and after several weeks came back with a reply that no vehicles over 25 years could be researched. They did not return the fee. Typical of New York. Good luck in your search.

I had the same experience with New York when researching a 1935 Packard.  You'd think they would announce that time limit on the website, but of course they don't.
O. Kerr