News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

39 lasalle wheel pinstriping

Started by Dennis Buchholz, January 17, 2008, 02:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Buchholz

What is the original wheel pinstriping supposed to look like on a 39 lasalle.  My original wheels have two gold lines but the space between the lines is black.  Is the black supposed to be there or is it just oxidation?  Thank you.

homeonprunehill

Quote from: Dennis Buchholz on January 17, 2008, 02:22:10 PM
What is the original wheel pinstriping supposed to look like on a 39 lasalle.  My original wheels have two gold lines but the space between the lines is black.  Is the black supposed to be there or is it just oxidation?  Thank you.
01-17-08
Dennis, I don't have my book with me right now,but, would be willing to bet that the way yours are painted are wrong. Never heard of any being painted with the two (2) GOLD Strips. On the origional order, the buyer could order either RED or (I Think) Black wheels with red Strips or red wheels with Black Strips. Threr were two (2) strips on eace wheel, But, the wheels were printed either RED or BLACK.
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Fred Zwicker #23106

My two 1939 LaSalles have no black paint between the stripes.  It must be oxidation on your wheel.  The stripe would have been painted in 2 parallel lines over the wheel color.

Fred

See attached picture which doesn't show much, but gives a little detail of the wheel.  If you are restoring a 1939 LaSalle, you may want to check my current restoration at www.fzoldcars.com (over 200 hundred pictures).
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

Dennis Buchholz

Here is an attachment with my original wheels.  I do not think they have been altered from the factory. 

Does anyone have another picture of a correct red wheel?

Thank you.

Dennis Buchholz

here is another photo of my original wheel

terry wenger #1800

Dennis:

A few things on wheels and striping. The wheel standard color varied with the color of the car. In general, Black cars were available with black, green or red wheels. Cars in any shade of gray, except Kingston Gray had Corsican red wheels.  All others matched the color of the car. The two-toned cars used Ludington Green for combination#63 and Monterey Blue Irid. for combination#64.

However, through the Special Features program, for a dollar per wheel, you could have them paiinted any color you wanted. Also through that program you could order the car painted in almost any color that you desired and the wheels would be painted that special color at no cost.

The wheel striping was most often gold with a few exceptions on the lighter colored wheels.( you could also request those in the color you wished) There were two sets of double stripes on the wheels, one set on the hub as shown in the previous photos and another set on the inner surface of the rim. My 40 LaSalle had these as well as the '38-'40 75 and 90 series cars. The set on the inner surface of the rim were hidden by either the full wheel covers or the accessory trim rings, so they rarely are seen.

I hope this helps.

Terry

Glen

It looks to me like the wheel has been painted.  It was originally black and the area between the stripes was not painted. 

Glen   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104