News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Help to Idenify 1940'd Cadillac Flathead.

Started by garysoldcars, January 21, 2008, 04:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garysoldcars

I am new to this forum and already I have a question. I just picked up a flahead motor and trans and I can not find any ID or casting numbers on it, in order to find out exactly what year it is. The man I bought it from said he thought it was a 1948. Can anyone tell me where to look and then when I find the number where can I look it up for information. I could not find a Cadillac casting number web site. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Gary, Apple Valley, CA

homeonprunehill

Quote from: garysoldcars on January 21, 2008, 04:18:14 PM
I am new to this forum and already I have a question. I just picked up a flahead motor and trans and I can not find any ID or casting numbers on it, in order to find out exactly what year it is. The man I bought it from said he thought it was a 1948. Can anyone tell me where to look and then when I find the number where can I look it up for information. I could not find a Cadillac casting number web site. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Gary, Apple Valley, CA
[/quote

01-21-08
GARY,find an old copy of a MOTORS MANUAL. It will tell you where to find the number and how to decode it.
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Robert Schuman

Gary,
Flathead V-8 engines from 1942 through 1948 have the number on a pad at the front of the right block, just behind the water pump. 1941 and earlier have the number stamped into the flat horizontal area of the left(driver side) block behind the left cylinder head. In either case it should be a seven digit number.
If you will post the number or email it to me, I can tell you what year and model it originally was installed in.
Bob Schuman