News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Correct 70 Eldo Engine Paint??

Started by John Morris #23947, January 29, 2008, 02:05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Morris #23947

I'm trying to find exact 70 Eldo engine color. Napa has 2 GM blues. Is the lighter one correct, or is there a sourse for exact spray can color? What about valve covers on 70 Eldo??
71 Olds 98 LS, 66 Fairlane 500 XL Convertible, 55 Packard Clipper Super, 58 Edsel Ranger, 72 Cheyenne Super, many 49-60 parts cars, abandoned "House Of Doom" full of 49-60 parts. Huge piles of engine parts, brackets, tin, Hydramatic & Jetaway parts,  thousands of stainless moldings, dozens of perfect sedan doors.

Stampie

John you disappoint me.  You should know Bill Hirsch, POR 15, and Eastwood all have it.

Stampie
If... the machine of government... is of such a nature that it requires you to be the agent of injustice to another, then, I say, break the law.  ~Henry David Thoreau, On the Duty of Civil Disobediance, 1849

If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable.  ~Louis D. Brandeis

John Morris #23947

John you disappoint me.  You should know Bill Hirsch, POR 15, and Eastwood all have it.

Stampie

Huh?? I've never until this 70 touched any Caddy newer than 1960. I have never restored a Caddy, just 67-72 GM trucks and a few simple 60s Fords. Strictly used Caddy parts is my hobby. Never heard of Hirsch or Eastwood as I recycle them, not restore em. I have plent of the 50s Caddy blue but I'm pretty sure it's not the same as 70. Since this 70 almost looks showroom new, and I'm pulling the engine to do flex plate, gasket & paint engine, I really would like exact color. Thanks Fellas. [pay no attention to the greasy wiped out mess who just took all the seats out of a 77 passenger bus, unbolting 140 bolts from UNDERNEATH, working around axle, tanks, ect.]
71 Olds 98 LS, 66 Fairlane 500 XL Convertible, 55 Packard Clipper Super, 58 Edsel Ranger, 72 Cheyenne Super, many 49-60 parts cars, abandoned "House Of Doom" full of 49-60 parts. Huge piles of engine parts, brackets, tin, Hydramatic & Jetaway parts,  thousands of stainless moldings, dozens of perfect sedan doors.

35-709

Hey Smiley,
As Lou pointed out, if you still have 50's Caddy blue in your stash, you are good to go.  You used to be able to buy Cadillac Dark Blue engine paint in rattle cans at just about any good sized auto parts store ---- no longer ---- those who packaged it in rattle cans discontinued it, probably didn't sell enough of it.  The GM blues you buy there now are not correct.  You can still buy it from the sources Stampie mentioned in quart cans, etc.  Rattle cans were still available from USA Auto Parts last time I looked but they were a good 4 or 5 times more expensive than what you used to be able to buy them for at your local parts store.  Hirsch and others may also offer rattle cans for a premium.
If your engine is a different color than the 50's dark blue then someone has repainted it the wrong color, something you see a lot of these days because the correct dark blue is harder to get.
By the way, Ford Dark Blue engine enamel is available at your friendly parts store and is close, but certainly not exact.  If you were to do the whole engine with the Ford Dark Blue it might not be noticeable except possibly to the most critical eye, but if some parts of the same engine were the correct Cadillac blue and some parts Ford dark blue it would certainly be noticeable.  Best of luck with that project.
Geoff 
;D
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Stampie

Quote from: John Morris #23947 on January 29, 2008, 09:03:08 PM

Stampie

Huh?? I've never until this 70 touched any Caddy newer than 1960. I have never restored a Caddy, just 67-72 GM trucks and a few simple 60s Fords. Strictly used Caddy parts is my hobby. Never heard of Hirsch or Eastwood as I recycle them, not restore em. I have plent of the 50s Caddy blue but I'm pretty sure it's not the same as 70. Since this 70 almost looks showroom new, and I'm pulling the engine to do flex plate, gasket & paint engine, I really would like exact color. Thanks Fellas. [pay no attention to the greasy wiped out mess who just took all the seats out of a 77 passenger bus, unbolting 140 bolts from UNDERNEATH, working around axle, tanks, ect.]

Ok John I'll forgive you just this one time.  BTW ... you might find a little present for you here ... http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/documents/Multiple_Years/Parts%20Illus%20Catalog%20thru%201970/

Stampie
If... the machine of government... is of such a nature that it requires you to be the agent of injustice to another, then, I say, break the law.  ~Henry David Thoreau, On the Duty of Civil Disobediance, 1849

If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable.  ~Louis D. Brandeis

Stampie

For those that already looked at the Illustrated Parts Catalog I made a mistake and half of it was missing.  It should be up and complete now.

Stampie

STDog

Quote from: Geoff Newcombe #4719 on January 29, 2008, 10:05:54 PM
By the way, Ford Dark Blue engine enamel is available at your friendly parts store and is close, but certainly not exact.  If you were to do the whole engine with the Ford Dark Blue it might not be noticeable except possibly to the most critical eye, but if some parts of the same engine were the correct Cadillac blue and some parts Ford dark blue it would certainly be noticeable.  Best of luck with that project.

Might not take a very discerning eye to tell. Ans when both are side-by-side it's very noticeable.

I did the whole engine with VHT Cadillac blue, had to special order the paint, as the parts places here didn't stock it, and wouldn't order just 3 cans.

Then the water pump died, and I didn't have enough left. So I grabbed the Ford blue locally.
(no, I still haven't got the air cleaner painted either)

aut_1996

aut_2340