News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1939 cadillac 6119 radio buttons

Started by myren kohlhorst, January 31, 2008, 10:57:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

myren kohlhorst

Hello to all, Just doing the finisning touches on my 8 year restoration of my 39-6119. Over the last few tears I've found a set of repro buttons. My old set was missing 2. My question: I have 1-on 1-off 1-wjr 1-wxyz 1-cklw  and 1- MNL. I now all but the MNL. Is this another town call letter or was there a button you pushed for manual adjustment? thusly the MNL
Thank you
Myren

Myren

Just a follow on the my message, Dose any one have the paper manual that came with this wells-gardner radio. That could be coppied and faxed or e-mailed to me??
Thanks again
Myren

baxterculver

Quote from: myren kohlhorst on January 31, 2008, 10:57:10 AM
Hello to all, Just doing the finisning touches on my 8 year restoration of my 39-6119. Over the last few tears I've found a set of repro buttons. My old set was missing 2. My question: I have 1-on 1-off 1-wjr 1-wxyz 1-cklw  and 1- MNL. I now all but the MNL. Is this another town call letter or was there a button you pushed for manual adjustment? thusly the MNL
Thank you
Myren
Myren,
I have a functioning Wells-Gardner in my '39 60S.  It should be the same radio.  The button arrangement:  from the left, Off, from the right, Manual tune.  The other buttons in between can be preset to stations of your choice.  Select stations by removing the button(s) and turning the small screw underneath to the station you want.  In my area/case, Rush, Religious, Spanish, Oldies, Sports (AM radio sucks).  Pressing any of the buttons to the right of the first (off) button slowly fires up the radio.   All of the buttons have a small slot under the cap that allow you to insert a piece of paper on which a station id or function can be written.
I have an installation guide that came with the radio but not the Owners Manual.  BTW if you haven't mounted the radio in the car yet, you are in for a  real treat.  You might call for a consultation first.
baxter culver clc#17184

myren kohlhorst

Baxter,
Thank you for the reply. Your saying the far right button is labeled MNL, not ON as mine was? I have put the radio in a few times to get allingment right and put in the little flat bar that I forgot the first time. It is installed for good I hope. I'm still trying to get my antenna apart to send the shaft out for rechrome. I have to modify the seal or what ever is inside to o-ring so it'll work up and down. I also have to rebuild the top threads up with jb weld and rethread for the nut.
Myren

baxterculver

Quote from: myren kohlhorst on February 02, 2008, 09:47:31 AM
Baxter,
Thank you for the reply. Your saying the far right button is labeled MNL, not ON as mine was? I have put the radio in a few times to get allingment right and put in the little flat bar that I forgot the first time. It is installed for good I hope. I'm still trying to get my antenna apart to send the shaft out for rechrome. I have to modify the seal or what ever is inside to o-ring so it'll work up and down. I also have to rebuild the top threads up with jb weld and rethread for the nut.
Myren
Myren,
any of the buttons to the right of the first one will activate the radio.  The right button activates the radio and also allows the tuning wheel to select stations.  My buttons are not labeled.  I guessed (perhaps wrongly) that a button labled MNL would indicate Manual Tuning  If that is the button on the far right, it is indeed the manual tuning button.
I acquired my radio (a core) from a gentleman in Arizona.  the call letters in the buttons were unintelligible.  Probably from the mid-west or south.
I haven't acquired a vacuum antenna yet.  I have the switch but not the antenna.  They are pricey to acquire and expensive to have restored.  I have heard Klaus Wojekl (Alabama, Georgia??) is the man to do restorations.  Would welcome other vendors too. 
baxter culver clc#17184

Terry Wenger CLC 1800

Myron:

The '39 Cadillac Radio Manual shows the buttons as follows #1-"OFF", #2 thru #5 station call letters & # 6-"MNL". The '39 radio information can be found in the May 1961, the Jan. 1977 Self-Starters and the Class 8 and 8A Authenticity Manuals.

Terry

myren

Quote from: Terry Wenger CLC 1800 on February 03, 2008, 02:00:58 PM
Myron:

The '39 Cadillac Radio Manual shows the buttons as follows #1-"OFF", #2 thru #5 station call letters & # 6-"MNL". The '39 radio information can be found in the May 1961, the Jan. 1977 Self-Starters and the Class 8 and 8A Authenticity Manuals.

Terry

Good morning to all,
Dose any one have eather the (May 1961 or the Jan 1977 self starter that can be coppied and faxed to me??? at 248-960-2600.
Thank you
Myren

myren kohlhorst

Morning all,
Dose any one have the May 1961 or Jan 1977 Selfstarter. There is a reprint article on the 1939 wells-gardner radio. If some one could please copy and fax me a copy. 248-960-2600.
Thank you
Myren