News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

41 346 cid flathead

Started by Brett Baird, January 31, 2008, 07:50:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brett Baird

I am overhauling a 346 cid flathead basket case - I received in boxes.  I am not a virgin, but it has been 20 years since the last time I was inside a 346.  I can not recall how the bronze camshaft/distributor/oil pump  idler gear is retained.  Is it just a flat washer, a steel thrust washer (with machined oil grooves) or some other washer type retainer, or a special bolt?  My can-o-parts isn't jogging my memory.  JPEG's would be appreciated. 
Many thanks in advance.

2-1-2008 -

A post-script to my message:  within an hour I recievereceivedil directing me to the Modified Chapter of the CLC Archived Document section via this link:  http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/documents/1940s/1944/1944%20Light%20Tanks%20Service/

Within minutes I had found the answer to my query, and the solution to my problem:  The gear is retained by a special washer, which I now remember and have located. 

I might add that, in perusing the other information included in this link, it is a much more complete and superior resource than my 1941 Cadillac shop manual on the subject of the flat head engine overhaul.  What a great resource!

THANKS!

-Brett Baird
CLC #17674
B Baird
'41 Fleetwood 60 S  http://bit.ly/1jwgEWm
'59 Sedan DeVille 6339 "Flat-top"  http://bit.ly/1jwgUF1

35-709

Kudos to the Modified CLC Chapter!!  What a great bunch!
:)

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

The Tassie Devil(le)

Flattery will get you everywhere.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   We are a great bunch.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

baxterculver

Quote from: Brett Baird on January 31, 2008, 07:50:59 PM
I am overhauling a 346 cid flathead basket case - I received in boxes.  I am not a virgin, but it has been 20 years since the last time I was inside a 346.  I can not recall how the bronze camshaft/distributor/oil pump  idler gear is retained.  Is it just a flat washer, a steel thrust washer (with machined oil grooves) or some other washer type retainer, or a special bolt?  My can-o-parts isn't jogging my memory.  JPEG's would be appreciated. 
Many thanks in advance.

2-1-2008 -

A post-script to my message:  within an hour I recievereceivedil directing me to the Modified Chapter of the CLC Archived Document section via this link:  http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/documents/1940s/1944/1944%20Light%20Tanks%20Service/

Within minutes I had found the answer to my query, and the solution to my problem:  The gear is retained by a special washer, which I now remember and have located. 

I might add that, in perusing the other information included in this link, it is a much more complete and superior resource than my 1941 Cadillac shop manual on the subject of the flat head engine overhaul.  What a great resource!

THANKS!

-Brett Baird
CLC #17674

So now, if you're not already in, join the club.  This stuff happens every day!
baxter culver clc#17184

Robert Schuman

The link opened a wonderful website, with 148 pages of Flathead V-8 information I have never seen before. My problem is how to print a copy of the whole document, without opening ,printing, and closing each of the 148 pages in turn. At my age, I may not have enough time left for such a time and printer ink consuming project.
Can anyone out there tell me how to get it printed?
Thanks.
Bob Schuman

Big Fins

Quote from: Robert Schuman on February 07, 2008, 10:33:04 PM
The link opened a wonderful website, with 148 pages of Flathead V-8 information I have never seen before. My problem is how to print a copy of the whole document, without opening ,printing, and closing each of the 148 pages in turn. At my age, I may not have enough time left for such a time and printer ink consuming project.
Thanks.
Bob Schuman

Robert, and anyone else that would like a hard copy of this document.

The Modified Chapter can send a copy to your home or business address. All we ask in return is a $20.00 donation to the Chapter to cover the costs of printing, time, and postage.

You may make your donation via PayPal directly to the Treasury, using the link provided below. Your request will be sent out at the earliest possible time.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=paypal%40modifiedcadillac%2eorg&item_name=Modified%20Chapter%20CLC&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD&lc=US&bn=PP%2dDonationsBF&charset=UTF%2d8

If you have any further questions you may contact me at   tres@modifiedcadillac.org   

and you also might like to see the rest of our site at  www.modifiedcadillac.org   We have an extensive documents section which is being added to all the time, and a great pictures section too.

Thank you,

Fins

baxterculver

Quote from: Big Fins on February 08, 2008, 09:12:18 AM
Quote from: Robert Schuman on February 07, 2008, 10:33:04 PM
Thanks.
Bob Schuman

Robert, and anyone else that would like a hard copy of this document.

The Modified Chapter can send a copy to your home or business address. All we ask in return is a $20.00 donation to the Chapter to cover the costs of printing, time, and postage.

You may make your donation via PayPal directly to the Treasury, using the link provided below. Your request will be sent out at the earliest possible time.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=paypal%40modifiedcadillac%2eorg&item_name=Modified%20Chapter%20CLC&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD&lc=US&bn=PP%2dDonationsBF&charset=UTF%2d8

If you have any further questions you may contact me at   tres@modifiedcadillac.org   

and you also might like to see the rest of our site at  www.modifiedcadillac.org   We have an extensive documents section which is being added to all the time, and a great pictures section too.

Thank you,

Fins
So on Friday the 8th of February I sent a $20 donation to the Modified Chapter and the Modified Chapter (The Fins Guy) was supposed to send me a copy of the 148 page manual on WW2 tank engines (346 cu in Cadillac engine).  I figured, at least a week.  To my pleasant surprise, the manual arrived today in my Snail Post Office approved bin.  Wow!  Those Modified Chapter guys are good.  And fast!  It was postmarked Florida and I'm in California.
Baxter Culver
baxter culver clc#17184

harry s

Not only are the Modified Chapter guys all the things Baxter mentioned, they are also consistant. I made a contribution on the same day and got mine today too. That is a great manual, goes into a lot more detail and has more pictures than the factory books. Thanks guys, Harry 
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Bill Podany #19567

Tonight I signed up for Pay Pay to get the document from the CLC Modified Chapter; I hope I did the right thing as opposed to sending the $20.00 directly to the chapter.  I look forward to the information. 
P.S/ Robert Schuman knows his stuff, he is one of the authors of the Authenticity Manual for 41 Cads, and he has been very helpful to me over many years with my 41 60 Special.  I look forward to the information.
Bill Podany
Knoxville, TN
1941 60 Special Fleetwood
1955 Eldorado

Whit Otis, 1188

Bill, I too was smitten by the bug and made the $20 donation via Paypal...  been about 23 years since I rebuilt a flathead, so figure I need a refresher course, and the more info the better.  I would also like to second you comments about Bob Schuman... he has been extremely helpful with great advice on a '41 project car I am starting on.
Whit Otis
Whit Otis -
1941 6219D Custom
1941 6219D
1940 7533F
1986 Mercedes Benz 560 SEL
1999 Bentley Arnage
2019 XT5
Drawing of AP Sloan Custom by Terry Wenger

Big Fins

Gentlemen, I have one problem. You're not emailing me your addresses. (Whit, Bill) The directory has about 7000 names and 50 states to leaf through looking for you.

I'm glad you all are enjoying the information. We try to be as efficient as possible.

Email to     tres@modifiedcadillac.org   

Thanks guys,
Fins

homeonprunehill

Quote from: Big Fins on February 12, 2008, 03:37:58 AM
Gentlemen, I have one problem. You're not emailing me your addresses. (Whit, Bill) The directory has about 7000 names and 50 states to leaf through looking for you.
I'm glad you all are enjoying the information. We try to be as efficient as possible.
Email to     tres@modifiedcadillac.org   
Thanks guys,
Fins

02-12-08
John,er, Fins, you can find out anyones email address by clicking onwhere it saids email on the LH side of the post.HTH
Good Luck,JIM
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

35-709

He needs snail mail addresses to send the information packages.   
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Big Fins

Thanks Geoff,   ;D ;D

Call me anything you want Jim, just not late for dinner.

John, err, Fins   ;)