News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Can A Temporary plastic window on a convertible be made?

Started by Jack Miller, February 03, 2008, 12:39:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Miller

Hi All,

My plastic window is gone on my 61 Cadillac. I want to know if anyone here has made a temporary plastic one that will last for a while till my body work and paint work are done.
I want to be able to drive it around in this winter and not freeze and be able to see through it and keep out rain and wind.
It is stupid to do a new top & window first.
Can I get some tips on how to do it and what supplies to use?

Thanks
Jack
Jack M.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Hi Jack,

It is possible to just buy the replacement plastic window with Zipper surround from the Top Suppliers, but if you just want to do a really "Temporary" job, I think you will just have to remove the window part, and sew in a replacement piece of plastic.

If the worst comes to the worst, I believe you could carefully sew in a replacement piece of flexible plastic sheet by simply hand-sewing it to the canvas frame, just like repairing a Yacht's sail.   Using a "Sailmakers Palm",(a handformed thimble that sailmakers use), needle and strong nylon thread, awl or small drill to carefully drill the holes for the thread.

To seal the area, Silastic might do, but there is a fair amount of pressure on the rear window whilst driving.

Bruce. >:D

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

I have seen the plexi glass method used. The guy I saw just used some bolts and washers to hold it in. Downside is in many cases you cant put the top down anymore.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Fred Zwicker #23106

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on February 03, 2008, 04:36:04 AM

To seal the area, Silastic might do, but there is a fair amount of pressure on the rear window whilst driving.

Bruce - Where can Silastic be purchased?  I looked it up on Google and it seems to be a form of RTV. 

Thanks,  Fred
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

harvey b

Hello All, another thing is to go to a Glass Shop,they have a really heavy type of plastic that they use for temporary repairs on a car that has a busted window,not sure what the trade name of the stuff is,then you could have the old zipper from your old window sewn on to it,not sure if caddys had a soft rear glass though,i once had a 68 Dodge monaco ragtop,we put a new top on it and it came with this type of rear window,rear visability was a bit distorted,but the price was right.no matter how you do it it will be a lot of work :-\.  HTH  Harvey Bowness
Harvey Bowness

Fred Zwicker #23106

One time I bought some heavy vinyl for the windows on my boat.  This should do the trick and could probably be purchased from anyone who does canvas work on boats.  In fact, they can probably come up with a zipper and make up a nice window for you at a reasonable cost.  Check with some marinas - they usually either do this work, or have someone who does.

Fred
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Fred Zwicker #23106 on February 03, 2008, 09:52:44 AM
Bruce - Where can Silastic be purchased?  I looked it up on Google and it seems to be a form of RTV.    Thanks,  Fred 
G'day Fred,

Silastic is a Brand Name http://www.dowcorning.com/content/rubber/,  but RTV would be similar stuff I would expect.

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jack Miller

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on February 03, 2008, 04:36:04 AM
Hi Jack,

It is possible to just buy the replacement plastic window with Zipper surround from the Top Suppliers, but if you just want to do a really "Temporary" job, I think you will just have to remove the window part, and sew in a replacement piece of plastic.

If the worst comes to the worst, I believe you could carefully sew in a replacement piece of flexible plastic sheet by simply hand-sewing it to the canvas frame, just like repairing a Yacht's sail.   Using a "Sailmakers Palm",(a handformed thimble that sailmakers use), needle and strong nylon thread, awl or small drill to carefully drill the holes for the thread.

Thanks Bruce,

Jack M.

Jack Miller

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on February 03, 2008, 05:40:21 PM
Quote from: Fred Zwicker #23106 on February 03, 2008, 09:52:44 AM
Bruce - Where can Silastic be purchased?  I looked it up on Google and it seems to be a form of RTV.    Thanks,  Fred 
G'day Fred,

Silastic is a Brand Name http://www.dowcorning.com/content/rubber/,  but RTV would be similar stuff I would expect.

Thanks all!
Jack M.