News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Cloyes double roller...

Started by JTraik, February 03, 2008, 06:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JTraik

I just did a fresh rebuild to my '68 472 and I put in a new, OEM style timing set.  Since then I have heard much better opinions on the cloyes double roller set.  Can anyone else vouch for these positive opinions?
Jeff

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: JTraik on February 03, 2008, 06:13:44 PM
I just did a fresh rebuild to my '68 472 and I put in a new, OEM style timing set.  Since then I have heard much better opinions on the cloyes double roller set.  Can anyone else vouch for these positive opinions?
Whenever I purchase any timing chains, I always use the "Double Roller" type, over the OEM type.

The Morse type chain is a good chain, but to me, the Roller one is better, because it doesn't seem to "dig-in" to the gears as much, and the Roller Chain takes less horsepower to drive it.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

I have seen several accounts and a few pictures of 'standard' crank gears that have shattered.  Many happen during installation some within the first few hundred or thousand miles. Never seen or heard of that problem with the cloyes. I went with the cloyes from the start just to be safe.   With all the extra money it cost to build a non small block chev I did not find it to be that big of a deal.

What did you end up doing for rockers?  That was the big killer in my budget.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

STDog

First, it snot a double roller, despite the advertising. It's a single roller chain.

Both versions are better than stock, but not enough better to warrant a change if it's installed, or returns are difficult.

Since the crappy, nylon covered stock set lasted 100,000 miles I expect the better, no-roller, replacement will do as good.

I have the Cloyes non-roller set, and in a non performance build I don't see any reason not to use it.

If I ever change to a performance camshaft, I'll probably get the cheaper roller.

JTraik

Thanks for the replies... I guess I will be putting ins a cloyes.

I put in a stage I or II shaft rocker system from Cad company, there was no way I was putting those OE style pieces of garbage back in... what a terrible design.
Jeff

TJ Hopland

Have you got new valve covers yet?   Stock ones dont clear most of the shaft systems because of the baffles.  The stage I ones should be ok on the ends but the other shafts are longer so stock ones dont clear.   I ended up getting a $50 set of chrome ones from MTS because they said theirs would fit rather than take my chances with ebay stuff. I bought almost all my stuff from MTS great people to deal with, one stop shopping including all the little plugs and stuff you forget about till you are putting things together. I wish I had the money for a nice set of aluminum covers with the Cadillac script, maybe some powercoat to match something else on the car......

JTraik

TJH... do you know what the deal is with adjusting the valves?  I was told that I just crank the rocker system down to the specified torque with the provided washers underneath and then call it a day.   There really is no way to adjust the valves unless you shim the whole shaft to a different height...
Jeff

TJ Hopland

With a little luck you will just get the right length pushrods and not have to mess with the shaft. Im no expert on how to check or figure out the proper length so I will have to leave that to someone else. With a shaft and non adjustable rockers I dont think there is much you can do other than hope everything else is right, luckily with fairly stock parts there is a fair amount of leeway. I bought my stuff as a 'kit' all from the same vendor and told him how much work I had done to the block and heads so he was able to send me the proper length pushrods.  The guy that was helping me did a quick check and said everything was fine, I just dont remember the details of how that test was done.   I have been told the chev lifters look the same and fit fine but have a slightly different height that has screwed things up for some people.   One of the many reasons I just bought all my stuff from one place, no finger pointing, it all just fit together and worked.

Im sure someone who knows what they are doing will be along to tell you how to check your setup.