News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1956 Sedan Deville Battery: Replace or Relocate?

Started by Eric Falk, February 04, 2008, 02:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric Falk

Okay the original style battery is DEAD; it's the long narrow one located between the firewall and inner fender. 

My question is: Should I replace it with an original style or relocate it to the trunk with a newer higher cranking, higher amp, sealed, maintenance free type used in newer model cars of today (like the Optima series).  The car is slightly modified so there won't be a reduction in value from moving the battery.  I just wonder if it's worth the effort and expense ???

I'd like to hear from those that face the same or similar situation.

Thanks in advance,

Eric

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: DavidP on February 04, 2008, 07:38:56 PM
I wish there was another choice  in battery for the 1953-1956 Cadillac's !

I haven't found a modern replacement ... just the original style  3EE-VHD  battery with 400 CCA measuring 19.25" x 4.25" x 8.63" using the OLD technology ...  >:D

When the warmer weather comes along in the spring I'll be taking a tape measure and see if I can find a place I can hide a normal modern battery under the hood somewhere between the radiator support and firewall ...  ::)

I'm hoping I may be able to hide a modern battery (800 CCA) mounted just slightly higher in roughly the same location with some minor sheet metal work on the inner fender ...  ::)
I understand your concern: I have 2 '56 Cads...The battery in the de Ville is to be replaced this spring (after 7 years, nothing bad to tell) but to get it out of its support is another task.
The sole other location I see is between the radiator and the grille. It would be also easier to check if water is needed.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

I think that the best place for any Battery is where it can be cooled by airflow.

Not sure how it would affect these modern-day Batteries though.

Plus, easiness to access is another good point as well.

But then, for those interested in originality, moving any object is not for them.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Otto Skorzeny

Hi,

Try www.antiqueautobattery.com . They have a maintenance free version and may now have an Optima that fits. If your charging/electrical system is in good working order, the standard battery should work fine. Make sure your generator and regulator are all working as they should. I wouldn't relocate the battery. It will look stupid and the longer cables required could adversely affect starting.

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Otto is on the money -- I have several batteries from these guys and they look completely original but inside the case is a sealed, modern battery.  Give them a call.  Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Joe G

Eric....I feel your pain!   Especially when pulling /reinstalling a battery with acid coming out of vented caps when the battery comes out at a 45 degree angle, and the back is at a 90 degree angle, and the engine compartment is detailed!  I'm considering gutting the battery on my '55, then leaving the carcass in the holder for show. The real Optima (Behind the spare tire) would be spliced into the main cables and run underneath the car. I hate to say it, but I've never seen a Judge bend over and look under a car if it involves soiling his knee or deviating from his checklist.  Same goes for all the Pre-war guys who scream about nothing being modified, yet they know nobody will bend over far enough to look for that electric fuel pump hanging off the frame. I hear that there's been some sniveling about ground cables being plated or not, but that's visible without crawling on the ground or kneeling.
       Go for it!

Dave Leger CLC #19256

Keep in mind that all batteries, even Optima batteries vent corrosive fumes at times.  This could do damage to the trunk.  My every day driver (04 Thunderbird) has the factory battery in the trunk, and it is vented through a fixture which connectes to a hose, which leads out under the car.  Someone on the Tbird forum contacted Optima about placing one of their batteries in (instead of Ford's $150 battery).  Optima recommended against it stating that their batteries still vented when charging and the fumes would corrode the trunk.  Another owner tried a standard battery, no vent hookup, and damaged their trunk.  For retro birds we're stuck with the stock battery so it can be properly vented.  If you did decide to put a battery in the trunk (using long heavy cables) I'd suggest finding one set to vent through a hose and run the vent outside.

Dave Leger     1947 6207 Club Coupe

Eric Falk

Well, Thanks to all of you I made the informed decision to replace the original battery with a newer version, in the original location.  When I removed the original I discovered it was being supported by a piece of 1x4" wood.  Apparently the former owner thought that would be good enough to hold the battery.  I suspect the battery was bouncing around m which caused it to fail. 

I made a new lower tray out of stainless steel and bolted it to the original support that extends from the firewall.  I installed the original top holder (that I found in the trunk) and new securing bolts.  I lloks great and functions as designed.  I was able to do all the work for less than $100.00, which included the battery. 

Thanks to all of you for your advice. :) 

homeonprunehill

Quote from: Eric Falk on March 15, 2008, 01:08:49 AM
Well, Thanks to all of you I made the informed decision to replace the original battery with a newer version, in the original location.  When I removed the original I discovered it was being supported by a piece of 1x4" wood.  Apparently the former owner thought that would be good enough to hold the battery.  I suspect the battery was bouncing around m which caused it to fail. 

I made a new lower tray out of stainless steel and bolted it to the original support that extends from the firewall.  I installed the original top holder (that I found in the trunk) and new securing bolts.  I lloks great and functions as designed.  I was able to do all the work for less than $100.00, which included the battery. 

Thanks to all of you for your advice. :) 

03-15-08
Eric, Sorry, your job isn't (IMHO) done yet, I don't think that SS will NOT with-stand the affects of battery-acid. I think you should paint/coat the SS battery tray with acid  resistance paint/coating.
Good Luck,JIM
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

homeonprunehill

03-15-08
Eric, the only thing that I know of that will withstand BATTERY-ACID is"PLATIC". get a platic tray of the propert size and set the battery in it, it will catch any water/acid mixture that come from the battery.Good Luck,JIM (I forget this part in my first post).
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

LBF

If a battery box with a vent to the outside is used then the "fumes" from a sealed battery will not damage the trunk.  They are availiable from many sources - Jegs, etc.
Matthew Taylor