News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Engine #'s on Cadillac Engines

Started by Allan Paton, February 07, 2008, 03:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan Paton

Gentlemen,
When did Cadillac first start using/stamping engine #'s  on their engines. I had a potential vendor tell me regarding an engine for the 1967 Eldorado that there was no # for the car because they didn't put engine #'s on the cars in those days. This sounds unlikely
What is correct. Allan

Tim Pawl CLC#4383

Cadillac's have had engine numbers stamped on them since 1902.     The 1967 Eldorado number should be stamped on a pad at the right front of the engine just in front of the head (doing this from memory). I wrote an article on the various locations of the engine number stampings by year in The Self-Starter Magazine   , I believe it was May or June 2007.

Glen

My 68 ELDO has a replacement engine in it.  It has no number on it.  Nor does the transmission.  I believe the replacements came without numbers so the dealer could stamp the numbers on.   

Glen
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

The Tassie Devil(le)

I am with Glen here,

From what I understand, when a replacement Block is purchased from a Dealer, it is unstamped, and as the normal thing when purchasing a Block, it was to replace a damaged Block from a car.

The New Block was then stamped with the same numbers that were stamped on the original Block, and then the old damaged block destroyed, as it would have been considered useless.

This simplifies the continuation of the Number, and also means that the Registration, Title and Insurance papers don't require altering.

I also believe that only "Certified Personnel" within a Dealership are authorised to apply these Stampings, and the vehicle records would be notorised as well.

I had in my possession a replacement BB Chev Block and that was completely free of any stampings, so when I put the engine into a road car, I had to make up a number that was nothing like a Chevrolet Number, to keep from having the possibility of Duplicate Numbers floating around the Computer Systems of the world.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon