News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Re: A Satisfied Plating Customer

Started by Anthony Amman #15293, February 10, 2008, 12:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony Amman #15293

I would like to share a recent experience with a chrome plating outfit that quite frankly, exceeded my expectations. 

Previously, I had dealt with an out of state plater based in San Diego who advertised in Hemming's Motor News and touted concours quality work.  I had a very negative experience with this outfit and had to send all of the parts back for a second time to achieve the level of quality promised.  They were eventually forced out of business by the EPA as well as being banned from Hemming's for deceptive advertising.

So, fast forward to the present.  I was ready to get the final 2/3 of the chrome from my car plated, and began to search out another shop.  I had a quote on some of the parts from a place back East, but the cost was jaw dropping.  16 pieces (headlight rings, tail light frames, vent window frames, etc.) were going to run $2600.00 so I kept on searching.  I did some more web searching and ran across a local plater in the town next to mine who has been in business since the late 50's and paid them a visit. 

I spoke with Steve, who is one of the managers at Ogden Chrome Plating and discussed what I needed as far as quality was concerned for my project.  He showed me a sample of their work and stated that show quality was their standard, and that copper, nickel, and chrome was what they used on all parts.  Pot metal was not a problem either.  I told him that if they could exceed what the factory had done originally, I would be satisfied.  He told me that would definitely be the case, but not to expect a concours result. 

I left 65 pieces with them which were digitally photographed and given a tracking number and also a firm bid.   He said it would take about a week to complete the order and that they would call when the parts wee ready.

Like clockwork, a week later Steve called saying the parts were completed.  I headed out for the shop feeling a fair amount of trepidation, no doubt due to my last experience with a plater.  My feelings proved groundless as all the pieces were absolutely jewel-like in quality, and wrapped in bubble wrap for protection.   I was on cloud nine!

Steve had been out when I picked up my parts the preceding day, so I followed up with a phone call to express my compliments to his craftsman for a job well done and to compliment him on his company's quality.  I told him that I have been looking at chrome on vehicles at shows for 33 plus years, and that their work looked concours level to me.  He said that they like to "under promise and over deliver".  I can honestly say that they exceeded my expectations and then some.

As a small business man myself, I strive to exceed my client's expectations and to deliver the best services I can for them.  It was great to find, and do business with, a company that thinks the same way as I do. 

If interested, Google Ogden Chrome Plating to go to their site.

Anthony

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Anthony,

Great to hear of your success in finding a good Chrome Plater.

Now, wish I could find one here, as freighting to Utah would be a killer for me.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

doug lansing

do you feel you can pass on the "back east" plater? 

Anthony Amman #15293

Bruce,

I can empathize with you on locating a plater that you can have confidence in and who may be closer to you geographically.  I did not expect to locate one in my "own back yard", so to speak. 

Several years ago, when I was still working in the machining field, the company I worked for produced archery equipment which required anodizing or chrome plating on some of the components.  We did not do any plating in house but sent it down to Salt Lake City for finishing.  I contacted them about doing some cadmium plating on the last batch of fasteners I needed for my car and while there, discussed automotive chrome with the owner.  He said they did not handle any automotive work and that for what I wanted, I wasn't going to find anyone in the state to do it.  They did a great job on my cadmium plated parts though.

I checked with one more plater in Salt Lake that day, and when I told them what I was working on, they weren't interested.  That's when I gave up on finding anyone locally to plate my parts.

It was then that I pulled out my Hemming's and started making calls around the country and went with the San Diego outfit.

I hope you find a place that you can work with to accomplish what you desire.  If by chance your car has stainless steel parts on it and you are willing to do your own polishing, check out a book written by Jeff Lilly of Jeff Lilly Restorations, with the title of how to restore automotive stainless and aluminum trim.  Obtain buffing supplies from Eastwood and Caswell and you can produce results as good as anyone.  You can Google Jeff Lilly for more info. and exact title.

Anthony

Anthony Amman #15293

Doug,

I did pass on the "back East" plater; the cost differential just did not make sense to make it worthwhile even if I was willing and able to spend that amount of money.    I did a cost per part breakdown and for 16 pieces at about $2600.00 that works out to around $162.00 per part. I had 65 pieces done for the same cost plus local sales tax, for a per piece cost of around $39.00.  The finished quality was absolutely outstanding and I did not have to ship the stuff out of state and risk it getting lost. 

Anthony

Joe Manna

Anthony,glad to hear you had a pleasurable experience with this plater.Like he said"under promise and over deliver".Where is this shop located?
1951 Chevrolet Bel-Air-50's Style Custom
1963 Cadillac 4 Window Sedan deVille
1991 Cadillac DW69 Brougham,All original and used daily
2015 Cadillac SRX

Anthony Amman #15293

Joe,

Ogden Chrome Plating is located in Ogden, Utah.

Anthony