News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Front Suspenion Questions on '48

Started by vicbrincat, February 09, 2008, 07:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vicbrincat

Hello,

I am  rebuilding the front end of my '48. I have a couple of questions:

1. To remove the King Pin, I have to remove a metal pin at the inner side of steering knuckle shaft. This pin runs horizontal to the King Pin itself and keeps it in place.
Which direction do I have to punch this pin out in? One side of the retaining  pin is round and the other ends seems to be notched. Once this is done can I just punch the king ping itself up or down through bushings to remove it?

2. To remove the upper  outer suspension arm shaft, do I first need to remove the large outside nuts that I assume have threaded busings on the inside? (Of course I have to undo the two bolts first : one on the upper steering knuckle shaft and then the one on the front end of the suspension arm itself.

3. For the lower outside suspension arm shaft, do I remove the large nut at the rear and then use the large nut at the front to remove the shaft itself? I assume the large  nut  at the front is actually part of the shaft itself?

Sorry for the question, but the manual is very vague. Any help would be appreciated. These are much more complex than the later Cadillac with ball joints.

Thanks again,
Vic Brincat

Thanks for your help.

Jack Miller

Hi Vic,

I just put online 2 pix that just might help you. Just click on each line and try them.
I hope this helps.

Jack

www.members.aol.com/xkeots/cad1.jpg
www.members.aol.com/xkeots/cad2.jpg
Jack M.

vicbrincat

Thanks Jack.

The '48 suspension is a little different as it has the shock absorber built into the upper "A" arm. (I think they call these Knee-Action Shocks?).

My 48 manual has a similar diagram, but has no clear explanation of the removal and replacement procedure.

Thanks for the reply and the pics!

Vic

Glen

Vic,

I sent you an email with a picture from the Master Parts Book. 

The pin holding the king pin in is most likely tapered. Check to see if one end is slightly smaller than the other.  Obviously you would tap the small end to drive it out.  If they are both the same size then I would think that you could drive it out either direction, but I can’t imagine them being a straight pin.  The picture shows caps on the ends of the king pin.  I think they are installed much like freeze plugs, i.e. slightly domed and when tapped into place they expand.  These would have to be removed from at least the end you are tapping on. 

If the upper outer shaft is like the one in my ’38 the bushings are both threaded on the inside but one is threaded on the outside too.  They both unscrew the same way.  By that I mean you just unscrew them like a nut. And you are right; you need to loosen the clamps.  But leave the one on the top of the steering knuckle until last to hold the shaft while you remove the bushings.  The shaft itself looks like the camber adjustment cam. 

I think you have it right with the outer lower shaft. 

Glen
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

nasser a

Vic,
 Dont forget to use spring compressor(s) if the susp. parts on the car. Just a reminder. Regards.

Nasser,

vicbrincat

Nasser,

Excellent point. I have removed the springs from the car already and wedeged blocks of wood between the farme and lower A arm to keep the car from sitting on the ground. Thank you and the others who have responded to my post!
Vic