News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

429 Oil Filter Extension gasket needed.

Started by Vinny, February 09, 2008, 07:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vinny

I pulled of the oil filter extention to check my oil pressure relief valve on my 65 429.  Now I can not find anybody who just carries this gasket.  I tried Autozone, Napa and Rock Auto.  Nothing.  I do not want to buy a full gasket set just for this small gasket.  Does anybody have an extra or can point me in the right direction??  Thanks!!!!

Jack Miller

Vinny,

Have you tried U.S.A parts supply?

Jack
Jack M.

John Bryan #21196

I was unable to find just the gasket and bought a new oil pump to get one. Hand-cuttting standard gasket material from the auto parts store won't work; it is too thick and you'll lose pump prime if you use it. The replacement gasket you need is paper-thin.

Please post if you find a single gasket for sale.

JB

Dave Leger CLC #19256

Dave Leger     1947 6207 Club Coupe

greg surfas 15634

Vinny,
First of all, was the relief valve sticking? Secondly, if worst comes to worst, an oil pump gasket is included in the timing cover gasket set.  Cheaper than buying a new oil pump, AND it is the proper thickness.
Greg

Vinny

I found an oil pump gasket and ordered one.  The reilf valve was not sticking when I pressed it with my finger.  But when I took off the nut to take it out, it did not fall out either.  I had to pull the spring with my finger then it took a couple of shakes to get the valve out.  I cleaned out the bore and the valve, lubed it up with assembly lube and slid it back in and put everything together.  I also cleaed out that little screen at the base of the oil filter extension. Alot of junk came out of that screen.  Should that screed be replaced?  I am hoping that this is my problem.

greg surfas 15634

Vinny,
"A lot of junk" in the oil system anywhere is not good and should be cleaned out thoroughly.  Yo previously said that this engine had just been rebuilt. How completely was it dis assembled, cleaned, and re manufacturered?
Greg