News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1947 Series 61

Started by Tuxedo, February 12, 2008, 11:50:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuxedo

Ok, here's my dilema.  I am into forward look mopars and currently own a '60 Belvedere.  Before I bought this car, the object of my desire was a '59 Caddy.  I wanted to have the biggest fins on the block so to say.  After realizing I couldn't afford a finned caddy, I came across the Plymouth, which I have since fallen in love with. 

Fast forward to the present...

My father has too many cars, the latest purchase (which was only aquired to help a relative in financial need), is a 1947 Cadillac Series 61 Fastback.  It is all original, in prime, and seems to run very nicely... and is much more closer to the road than the Plymouth.  He has presented me with a rather tempting offer for the caddy, but it would require me giving up on the Plymouth.  As I am also a member of a forward look forum, I'm sure I would get caned for even presenting this suggestion, but I'm honestly considering it.

As far as value goes, I know which one is more valuable...  that's not the question.  My concern is in whether I can afford the Cadillac...  between chrome, brake parts, etc.  While the Plymouth was going to be a semi-custom, the caddy would be stock (besides maybe being a few inches lower of course), and most likely would require some fairly expensive OEM parts.  I guess I'd like some input from folks on both sides (I'll be asking the same question on the other side).

Let 'er rip!!

Don
Don Laneve

Dave Leger CLC #19256

Hi Don,

I have been restoring a 47 62 series coupe.  I can give you an idea on some of my expenses.  Part of this depends on whether you want a driver, or a show car (I'm doing a driver/tourer).  Part depends on mechanicals - my car had sat stored for almost 30 years and while it ran, it needed work.  If you don't have all the trim, trim for the coupes can be expensive (someone hit my left rear fender and a new chrome spear was $1,600).  Here's some idea on rough costs to date:

Engine rebuild $5,000
Transmission rebuild $3,000
Smaller rebuilds (carb, generator, water pump, fuel pump, vacuum wiper motor, speedometer, clock) $1500
Upholstery $3,500
Tires $1,200
Front end suspension rebuild $2,500
Weatherstrip $700 so far, probably that much more to go
Chrome $3,000 so far, at least that much to go
New wiring harness $1,200
New hoses and belts $300
Misc. electrical (rebuild radio, bulbs, new voltage regulator, etc.)  $500

Right now I'm having the car stripped to bare metal and repainted (old lacquer is cracking), but paint will be big no matter what car you are doing, assuming it needs it.

I hope that gives you some idea.

Dave

Dave Leger     1947 6207 Club Coupe

Dave Leger CLC #19256

Oops - forgot - rebuild the brake system (cylinders, lines, shoes, springs, etc.) about $2,000.

Dave

Tuxedo

Thanks Dave.  This is a good start in understanding what I may be getting into.  At this point in my life, I don't have much if any disposable income, so these numbers are startling, but not unexpected.  I remember when my father had all the chrome on his '52 Chevy redone...  probably in '82 or so.  He paid under $500 for everything!!  Those days are long gone though, so I'm going with a presentable driver for now. 

Thanks again!!
Don Laneve

homeonprunehill

Quote from: Dave Leger CLC #19256 on February 12, 2008, 12:15:19 PM
Hi Don, I have been restoring a 47 62 series coupe.  I can give you an idea on some of my expenses.  Part of this depends on whether you want a driver, or a show car (I'm doing a driver/tourer).  Part depends on mechanicals - my car had sat stored for almost 30 years and while it ran, it needed work.  If you don't have all the trim, trim for the coupes can be expensive (someone hit my left rear fender and a new chrome spear was $1,600).  Here's some idea on rough costs to date:
Engine rebuild $5,000
Transmission rebuild $3,000
Smaller rebuilds (carb, generator, water pump, fuel pump, vacuum wiper motor, speedometer, clock) $1500
Upholstery $3,500
Tires $1,200
Front end suspension rebuild $2,500
Weatherstrip $700 so far, probably that much more to go
Chrome $3,000 so far, at least that much to go
New wiring harness $1,200
New hoses and belts $300
Misc. electrical (rebuild radio, bulbs, new voltage regulator, etc.)  $500
Right now I'm having the car stripped to bare metal and repainted (old lacquer is cracking), but paint will be big no matter what car you are doing, assuming it needs it.
I hope that gives you some idea.
Dave
02-12-08
Dave, I only hope you didn't pay in advance for any of the services you had done, because it seem like you could have cut the cost of some items.
Good Luck,JIM

USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Chris Short CLC 18814

I myself don't have this vast flow of cash so I can just write checks for any little thing on my cars..  So I know where your coming from.  Its not that bad really..  A couple hundred bucks does a real good tune up..  Thats hoping the radiator is ok cuz those are usually really bad..  But they go for many many years..  Another couple hundred bucks does a very good brake job..  Exhaust is usually a bad one to take..  Those depending if you want stainless or not..  Can range from 350 for a good steel exhaust or up to $750 for a stainless.  But I get many many years out of plain aluminized steel exhaust system..  Save the additional money of stainless for something else..  Wiring issues are very cheap to fix usually if your good with Wiring..  Some good wire, a soder gun, some soder, and some heat shrink go a long ways..  Unless the entire wiring harness is trashed then it gets very pricey but that is very rare..  Usually its just a couple spots that are bad in it..  Like down by the starter..  And then tires are a another bad one..  But 500-600 should put some real nice tires on the car..   So for about $1500(provided the engine and tranny are sound) that gives you a good car thats driveable and able to have some fun with..  It might not win every show in the land but its a good car.   In your case your going to have to paint the car and that will be more..  Paint is expensive, and you can drop 4-5 grand in a interior real fast..  But I would just get the car solid and a good dependable driver and then as money permits do the cosmetic stuff.  Oh and that 1500 price is if you do it yourself..  If you want to take it someplace to have all the work done you can double or triple that amount..

Chris Short
clc 18814

Dave Leger CLC #19256

I should mention that I had the engine and transmission done, and the brake system (stainless lines) - those were not things I did myself.  Same with the small rebuilds, farmed them out to people.  I could have gotten by cheaper with doing the carb myself, etc.  In some cases, like the transmission, they ran into unexpected issues (crack in the casing that opened when hot) that ran up the costs (extra $400).  I did the removal and installation of the small stuff, did the wire harness install, etc.  While I say mine will be a driver, I am doing it to relatively high standards, but, for instance, not using period hose clamps, etc. to keep her completely period.  I'm also doing this frame on, I don't have the space to do a frame off restoration (or, I suspect, the patience).

Dave

Dave Leger CLC #19256

Oh, Don - I should mention too that was work done over a 6 year period so far, and I did drive the car off and on during that whole period.  Stretching the work out (and the expenditures) makes it easier to cope with.  I couldn't have just written one big check out and said 'restore it' to someone.   :-)

Dave

homeonprunehill

Quote from: Tuxedo on February 12, 2008, 11:50:40 AM
Ok, here's my dilema.  I am into forward look mopars and currently own a '60 Belvedere.  Before I bought this car, the object of my desire was a '59 Caddy.  I wanted to have the biggest fins on the block so to say.  After realizing I couldn't afford a finned caddy, I came across the Plymouth, which I have since fallen in love with. 
Fast forward to the present...
My father has too many cars, the latest purchase (which was only aquired to help a relative in financial need), is a 1947 Cadillac Series 61 Fastback.  It is all original, in prime, and seems to run very nicely... and is much more closer to the road than the Plymouth.  He has presented me with a rather tempting offer for the caddy, but it would require me giving up on the Plymouth.  As I am also a member of a forward look forum, I'm sure I would get caned for even presenting this suggestion, but I'm honestly considering it.
As far as value goes, I know which one is more valuable...  that's not the question.  My concern is in whether I can afford the Cadillac...  between chrome, brake parts, etc.  While the Plymouth was going to be a semi-custom, the caddy would be stock (besides maybe being a few inches lower of course), and most likely would require some fairly expensive OEM parts.  I guess I'd like some input from folks on both sides (I'll be asking the same question on the other side).
Let 'er rip!!
Don

02-13-08
DON, I have a '07 Spring copy of the KANTER Auto Products Catalog .Which is also on line. DON, if you live near a MACCO paint shop, and the '47 is already in Prime, wait untill there is a "special" and take the car in for painting. They do a pretty good job of spraying-paint. You didn't say how much of the work you would be doing, but you can buy parts or KITS from Kanter.
Good Luck,JIM
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Bill Gauch #23121

Quote from: Dave Leger CLC #19256 on February 12, 2008, 12:18:06 PM
Oops - forgot - rebuild the brake system (cylinders, lines, shoes, springs, etc.) about $2,000.

Dave

Holy cow! It cost $2k to do a brake job?!? There really isn't that much to a drum brake system to warrant that kind of price. Was there something specific that added that kind of cost? Your other prices were reasonable. Actually, I was wondering where you got your engine rebuilt for $5k because all the estimates I got were closer to $10k.
WANTED: Nothing right now.

- 1938 Series 65 - 4-door sedan - Restoration (slowly) ongoing

http://38caddy.blogspot.com/

Dave Leger CLC #19256

Hi Bill,

It might have been closer to $1500 - I don't have the receipts here at work, but 4 new wheel cylinders from Kanter, and a new master cylinder, all new heavy-duty springs, all new stainless fixed lines from In-line, all new flex lines, drums turned, and shoes relined (that was pricey for new bonded linings done locally, around $80 per wheel).  I even got new adjustment plugs from Steele.  I am sure I could have saved a good $300 in labor if I'd done it myself, rather than using a shop here in town.  I was worried about getting the drums off after 30 years, and figured I'd let them deal with it.  As it turns out, they said they popped off easily with their puller.

I had a local shop pull the engine and send it to a rebuilder here - Western Engine, along with Walt Brewer's article on rebuilding flatheads.  The guy there had done a Cadillac flathead before, but got a real kick out of the atricle.  Meanwhile, back at the shop that pulled it, the owner skipped town, after being in business here 15 years, so I got the car back in pieces, lost parts, etc. - it wasn't pretty.  I trailered the car back home and hired a neighbor, who'd been a master mechanic, to help me put all the bits back together.  A lot of folks on the forum here helped me with finding parts, as did local club members. 

Dave