News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Disassembling transmission 1939 Cadillac 60S

Started by Rick Rinehart, February 13, 2008, 12:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Rinehart

There is a set of gears on the main shaft (long one that goes out the back of the transmission through the extension).  I can't get those gears off the shaft.  There is a snap ring that I believe is holding the gears on but the ring is very hard to get to.  What kind of tool do I use to reach back in there?

And where do I get transmission parts?

Thanks
Rick
CLC 18151

Jay Friedman

There is a K-D tools snap ring pliers that will get out the snap ring, though it is not easy. You have to grind down the tips of the pliers so that they will fit in the snap ring groove.

Parts are available from Northwest Transmissions in Ohio and Valley Gear and Transmission in Seattle WA.  Bearings are available from Olcar Bearing Co., Southern Pines NC.  NW and Olcar advertise in Hemmings.

Contact CLCer Brad Ipsen who has written a manual on taking apart the transmission and can answer questions better than me.

Good Luck,

Jay

Rick Rinehart CLC#18151

I received a few tips from readers of this forum and the info was invaluable. I managed to get the transmission apart today.  There are definietely a few "tricks of the trade" one needs to know.  I will gladly share if anyone else out there is tackling a transmission of that vintage.  Thanks guys.