News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

64 Eldo molded "S" heater hose

Started by Johnny F #662, February 14, 2008, 11:32:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny F #662

Anyone know where a molded "S" heater hose, the one that is located on top of the engine, and connects the water pump to the heater, can be bought?  A fellow CLC member replaced his water pump, and wants to also replace this hose.  Thanks in advance.

greg surfas 15634

Johnnie,
If you are talking about the heater hose that goes from the rear of the water outlet manifold, snakes under the AC compressor and then feeds the Heater core, I doubt very seriously if that has been manufactured for decades.  If you will recall, back in the days when these cars were new, molded hoses other than the upper and lower radiator hoses were extremely uncommon.
Not saying that these molded hoses do not exist, but if one could be found as  NOS it would be very old.
I do not know how this might affect authenticity, and if this is even a factor, but a length of heater hose can be effectively bent into the configuration required.  I have done so on my 66.
Hope this helps.
Greg Surfas

Johnny F #662

Quote from: Greg surfas 15634 on February 14, 2008, 12:36:31 PM
Johnnie,
If you are talking about the heater hose that goes from the rear of the water outlet manifold, snakes under the AC compressor and then feeds the Heater core, I doubt very seriously if that has been manufactured for decades.  If you will recall, back in the days when these cars were new, molded hoses other than the upper and lower radiator hoses were extremely uncommon.
Not saying that these molded hoses do not exist, but if one could be found as  NOS it would be very old.
I do not know how this might affect authenticity, and if this is even a factor, but a length of heater hose can be effectively bent into the configuration required.  I have done so on my 66.
Hope this helps.
Greg Surfas

Greg,

Thanks for the reply.  I believe you have correctly identified the hose.  It appears to be about one inch in diameter.  My friend already took a piece of heater hose and did as you suggested, but it resulted in two drastic kinks, which greatly cut down water flow to the core.  We both have done searches on line with no success so far.  He called NAPA and a gentlemen he spoke with, said that possibly he could find one that might do the trick.  Authenticity is not a factor, as the car is mostly used for pleasure.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Johnny F #662 on February 14, 2008, 11:32:05 AM
Anyone know where a molded "S" heater hose, the one that is located on top of the engine, and connects the water pump to the heater, can be bought?  A fellow CLC member replaced his water pump, and wants to also replace this hose.  Thanks in advance.
G'day Johnny F,

When I come across these "Odd" situations I take a walk to the local wrecking yard and look in all the engine bays of the Imported cars.   You would be surprised just what funny-shaped hoses are used, and then it is a matter of using part of what fits, and install a sleeve joint to continue back to where you want to go to.

Also, I take the offending piece to my local Auto Parts Shop, and say to the bloke behind the parts counter, "Got anything that looks like this"?   You would be surprised just what they have back in their shelves.   Might end up with a Toyota or Honda part, but it will fit.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Johnny F #662

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on February 14, 2008, 06:19:52 PM
Quote from: Johnny F #662 on February 14, 2008, 11:32:05 AM
G'day Johnny F,

When I come across these "Odd" situations I take a walk to the local wrecking yard and look in all the engine bays of the Imported cars.   You would be surprised just what funny-shaped hoses are used, and then it is a matter of using part of what fits, and install a sleeve joint to continue back to where you want to go to.

Also, I take the offending piece to my local Auto Parts Shop, and say to the bloke behind the parts counter, "Got anything that looks like this"?   You would be surprised just what they have back in their shelves.   Might end up with a Toyota or Honda part, but it will fit.

Bruce. >:D

Good advice, because thats apparently what my friend did.  NAPA found a part that fit the bill.