News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

New Book -- 100 Years of GM Styling

Started by Mike Josephic CLC #3877, February 14, 2008, 09:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Just FYI.........

This looks to be an interesting addition to any car book collection.  It promises to show
details of all GM concept cars and styling trends over that last 100 years.  The pre-order
price is $50 plus shipping.

Link is:  www.gmdesignbook.com

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Brian Laurance

Mike, thank you for the heads up regarding this book -- which looks fascinating.  I think I need to order this one!  The prospect of seeing photos that have never been published before is tremendously exciting for me and other fans of GM history.

Do you know who is writing the book?

How did you learn of this book?  I just want to make sure that this is a legitimate deal, since I'm aware of people who have paid for automotive history books in advance of publication, only to learn that the books were never published.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

I saw it advestised in Old Cars Weekly -- so I'm pretty sure it's legit.  The
link I gave in my original post gives you more info.  I've ordered one.
Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Dan Reed

Hi Mike,

Sounds like a great book.

Another good book is "General Motors Styling 1927-1958 - Genesis of the World's Largest Design Studio". This book became available in the fall of 2007 and I think it was $25 - $30 range.

Dan

Bill Podany #19567

Hello Guys,

I will order the 100 Years of General Motors Styling, thanks for the lead.  I purchased General Motors Styling 1927-1958; it is most interesting, especially the detail on the working worlds of Harley Earl, Virgil Exner, and the GM Motoramas.

Bill Podany
Knoxville, TN
1941 60 Special Fleetwood
1955 Eldorado

Brian Laurance

Has anyone actually received this book yet?  The website indicated that it was to be shipped during spring, 2008.

My credit card was charged right away for the book after my pre-order was placed, but I've heard nothing further.

The website "Contact Us" button does not lead to any information that will allow you to contact the publisher.

Brian Laurance

I did find an e-mail address ( info@gmdesignbook.com ) via a different link, and sent an e-mail to inquire regarding the status of the books.  I will report back here if I receive a reply.

Brian Laurance

I've received a very prompt, personal reply to my e-mail, and here is the information I was seeking:

Brian,

I’m very sorry for the delay in shipping your book.  We’re in the tedious approval stage right now.  It’s in the hands of the GM Design people and I’m learning how long things can take with large corporations.  After that is complete, we will start the printing process.  That will take several months and it’s mainly due to the shipping.  It could take a couple of weeks on the boat or it could take a couple of months.  The shipping part is out of my hands and it’s hard for me to deal with, but it’s a part of the process.

Again, thank you very much for your pre-order and I’m glad you were able to take advantage of the discount.  I look forward to hearing your reaction, but I think you will love what we’ve done.

Thank You,
Mark

Mark R. Cantey
Owner/Publisher
MRCPublishing
PO Box 11272
Charlotte, NC 28220

The Tassie Devil(le)

One of you gentlemen will have noticed that their message has been deleted from this posting.

I appologise for that and to that Member, as I was removing an unwanted posting, and accidentally deleted one too many.

Bruce Reynolds,
Administrator.

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Eldorado_64

What is the next best Cadillac history book to to pick up where the "Cadillac, Standard Of The World" left off in '77? Also I have 2 versions of the book and misplaced my older one in burgandy hard cover (lost paper cover back in '79 but black w/ big laurel wreeth emblum on it , I think) and a newer replacement in '83 w/ blue hard cover and dark blue paper cover w/ photo on back and simular big lCadillac laurel wreeth w/ badge on front. What was the big difference in these "2"? Did the blue. Are their different editions? my 1st burgandy one asid aI think C 1973 but I baught it in '78 and it featured Cadillacs to 1977. My newer 1983 printing shows what I remember as the same photos & info to 1977 so just curious.

I am interested in the simular type of info but for the '78 and onward to at least 2000 or so.
1964 Cadillac Fleetwood Eldorado Biarritz & Sixty-Special
Cadillac, "The Only Way"

Bill Podany #19567

Gentleman,

I have ordered the book and have heard nothing.  If you have any insight, please advise.

Bill Podany
Knoxville, TN
1955 Eldorado

Frank Schroeder

Hi, I ordered a book called GM first in Design from this company in mid February of this year and I have not heard anything back from OCW or Krause publications. Today I just sent an email to MRC books to get an answer from the printers. I ordered the book as a retirement gift but nothing has come yet. I hope I get the book before the guy dies. Lets see if and when I get an answer. If the book doesn't cover all GM divisions, I don't want it.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Hello to all -- here's an E-Mail I just received rom the Publisher:

First and foremost I want to thank everyone for your patience and understanding in the delivery of your pre-ordered book: Driving Style: GM Design's First Century. I've talked with some of you and corresponded with many others by E-mail regarding the book and it's been fun and a pleasure.

Book Delivery: As it stands now, the text, photos, etc., are all in the hands of the GM Design group and I'm waiting on them to send final approvals so we can go to press. This is a tedious process and one that is vital to insure the book will be as perfect, well represented and accurate as possible. Many of you purchased the book for a Father's Day or Birthday gift and need something to give as a gift.

Gift Solution: Many of you have utilized our "Gift Receipt" page on our website and I encourage everyone to do so. It allows you to enter your name and the recipients name on the page and print a copy to give to whoever the gift is attended for. It allows you to 'physically' hand someone something and avoids the "it's in the mail" line we've all heard.

http://gmdesignbook.com/gift_receipt.pdf

Good News: With pushing the print date back, we now have the ability to add new vehicles, photos and other items that time wouldn't allow us. We now have that ability.

I absolutely appreciate your pre-order and I'm even happier you were able to utilize the 33% Discount when ordering the book. Please know that I'm doing everything I can to get the book to your home! It will be an instant classic and well worth the wait -- I promise.

Sincerely,

Mark R. Cantey
Owner/Publisher
MRC Publishing, Inc
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
2011 Buick Lucerne CX

veesixteen

I got the same message yesterday, Mike, even though I had not sent him a reminder abouit my order, so it seems that he is keeping track of our orders.  However, the fact that he says he can add new pics suggests he's nowhere near a puiblication date.  At this stage, I can't see delivery taking place before Christmas 2008.

I was "taken" once, about 30 years ago, by a guy who also was working on a Cadillac book.  I can't remember his name off-hand - maybe Frank something??? - but I believe the alleged publisher was "Sunshine Publications".  Anyway, I heard many years later that he had taken a $60 deposit from quite a few collectors before skipping out. As I recall, someone said he went on the road, with his family, in a large RV, and was campaigning for some political nomination.  Were any of you a "victim", like me ?

Quote from: Mike Josephic on June 16, 2008, 11:20:44 PM

Hello to all -- here's an E-Mail I just received rom the Publisher: ...
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Bill Gauch #23121

Quote from: veesixteen on June 17, 2008, 06:34:55 AM
I got the same message yesterday, Mike, even though I had not sent him a reminder abouit my order, so it seems that he is keeping track of our orders.  However, the fact that he says he can add new pics suggests he's nowhere near a puiblication date.  At this stage, I can't see delivery taking place before Christmas 2008.

I was "taken" once, about 30 years ago, by a guy who also was working on a Cadillac book.  I can't remember his name off-hand - maybe Frank something??? - but I believe the alleged publisher was "Sunshine Publications".  Anyway, I heard many years later that he had taken a $60 deposit from quite a few collectors before skipping out. As I recall, someone said he went on the road, with his family, in a large RV, and was campaigning for some political nomination.  Were any of you a "victim", like me ?

Quote from: Mike Josephic on June 16, 2008, 11:20:44 PM

Hello to all -- here's an E-Mail I just received rom the Publisher: ...

I haven't been impacted by this book, but I can't help but feel that it is, at the very least, poor business practices. Generally, laws prevent charging a credit card for a product that hasn't been shipped. If it were me, I would be contacting the author/publisher (same guy) and asking for my card to be credited with the assurance that I would buy it as soon as it is released. Maybe I'm the only one who can't afford to have $50 of old car money tied up for 6-12 months (or forever).
WANTED: Nothing right now.

- 1938 Series 65 - 4-door sedan - Restoration (slowly) ongoing

http://38caddy.blogspot.com/

Brian Laurance

The book arrived -- today!

From the moment I saw the remarkable cover photo of the Buick Y Job, I knew I was going to love it.

I've taken only a brief look so far; I'm supposed to be working.

The book looks incredible, filled with spectacular photos I've never seen before.

Bill Podany #19567

The book arrive this week; it is just great.  See my commentary also on today's post regarding the same.

Bill Podany
Knoxville, TN
1955 Eldorado

Paul Ayres #5640

I finally got my book, after months of delay and promises that it would contain the latest stuff gleaned form the GM Styling Archives.  I find it to be very disappointing, filled with extraneous BS like stories of the Osceola rolling on its side numerous times because it was so top heavy, numerous mis-spellings and other typos.  A pretty book, but not worth the money.  One more carelessly prepared book.  Paul Ayres