News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1928 Cadillac - Glass Thickness

Started by Ken Andersen #21420, February 15, 2008, 04:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Andersen #21420

I am restoring a 1928 341-A 7 Passenger Limo.
Rubber products supplied by Steele Rubber for the windcreen, suggets that the
thickness of the windscreen is approx 9mm.
Having just received sample of the bailey channel for the windscreen,
it would appear that the windscreen is only aprox 6mm thick.
Can anyone confirm what the correct thickness should be ????
Thanks for your assistance.

Warren Rauch

From a Fisher Body manual dated 1927. "The glass used in standard production in all body styles varies from 5/32" to 9/32" thickness.This variation in thickness has very little bearing upon the strenght of the glass. Variation in thickness of glass can be compensated for by adjusting the garnish moulding to the glass run channels"  This quote is from a section intitled "Windshield and Window Glass" I find it hard to believe the middle sentence. Still this give a range of about 4-7 mm. This is the old plate glass ,you most likely are using safety glass ,it could be thicker. Warren

Ken Andersen #21420

Quote from: Warren Rauch on February 16, 2008, 10:38:35 AM
From a Fisher Body manual dated 1927. "The glass used in standard production in all body styles varies from 5/32" to 9/32" thickness.This variation in thickness has very little bearing upon the strenght of the glass. Variation in thickness of glass can be compensated for by adjusting the garnish moulding to the glass run channels"  This quote is from a section intitled "Windshield and Window Glass" I find it hard to believe the middle sentence. Still this give a range of about 4-7 mm. This is the old plate glass ,you most likely are using safety glass ,it could be thicker. Warren

Dear Warren,

Many thanks for your reply. It has been most helpfull.

Best Regards
Ken Andersen