News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

47 Cad Fender Spears..

Started by Chris Short CLC 18814, February 15, 2008, 11:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Short CLC 18814

Hi,
   I saw in the latest issue of the Self Starter that theres a gentleman thats makeing some new reproductions of the 47 rear fender spears..  I know its against rules to bash a member on here..  But I was wondering if anyone has seen one to see what kind of quality they are..  It is a little chunk of change for one of these and I don't want a bad experience.

Thanks,
Chris Short
CLC 18814

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Hi Chris, Read the ad carefully. He is going to do "one more batch." This means that he has sold the first grouping, run, whatever. Thus, people must be happy with them. His price, while high, is about what other suppliers want for original ones you have to re-plate.

Simply call the guy, and ask for a referral. That would not be saying that "his price is too high," as he mentioned in his ad, merely being cautious on your part. There is nothing wrong with being careful with your money, especially if you don't have unlimited funds. Any supplier can appreciate that. After all, he does want to sell them. If he didn't want to talk about them, he wouldn't have included his phone #.

P.S. If you do call, thank him for re-doing them. Lynn Steele had 20K in the 1941 Series 62 stone guards thirty five years ago before he ever made a nickle off them. I would assume that this man has a similar investment in the parts.

In any case, good luck.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Jeff Maltby 4194

I called Lee Pendleton 3 days ago about his spears . I know he lives back east but he was in s.calif at the time with 15 sets of 48-49 2 door spears for chroming. He has 10 more sets in the making. Nice guy to chat with and his product is an exact match to the factory spears using 18 gauge metal as new. I've seen used spears needing total resto selling for $1,200 being so hard to find today, these are a bargin anyway you can cut it.  I remember talking to a long time clc cad member/vendor stating he was quoted $80k just for the molds. Lee isn't getting rich making these up and like barry stated, thank him for having the talent to remake these, as we'll never find them again.

Same for the vendor making exact repo's of our door sill plates for only $350 a pair. Unbelievable talent and Price.

Jeffo 49er chapter :<)
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Chris Short CLC 18814

Ok..  I'll give the guy a call..  He does sound like a good guy..  And I doubt theres many people selling really bad stuff in the back of the Self Starter..  That wouldn't fly..  And your right about the "one more batch" statement.. 
Thanks,
Chris Short

Rob Robison 10743

Chris, Lee Pendleton fabricated the rear spears for my 1942 convertible last year. They are approx. 6 inches longer than the 1947 rear spears and he replicated them spot on.The quality was EXCELLENT. They are exact replicas of the originals. I highly recommend him.

Rob