News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1957 Aftermarket fuel pumps going bad .

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, February 17, 2008, 11:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello, I purchased an after market fuel pump for my 1957 Cadillac . i do not have hardened valve seats so i add an aditive to compinsate for the lead . i have had two fuel pump go bad in just a couple of hundred miles . I do have the Original Fuel pump that came with the car in 1957 , this pump has a round dome like cover on the top .  I ordered a rebuild kit for this pump and plan to install it this week . i hope this solves my proplem with fuel pumps . Meanwhile i do have an auxelery pump just in case . I guess my question is , am i causing damage to these pumps by adding the lead aditive .  Any advise will be greatly appreaciated
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

35-709

Bill, see my other post concerning your valve seats.  As to the "lead" additive you are using, it is, or should not be, lead.  It may be a lead substitute, but it is not legal to sell lead for consumer use.  I would stay away from it, you do not need it.
:)
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Len Sholes

Bill re your fuel pump problems. What are you finding wrong with the ones that are failing? The only two iitems that might be effected by an additive would be the fibre check valves or the diaphragm.

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello Len , i am not sure  why  the first one failed i sent it back and they replaced it . The one they replaced also failed yesterday . I am not sure why at this point . Maybe i need to install a filter before abd after the pump . From what i am hearing , people are telling me to stay away from the additives just run straight premium gas .  Len  I think i will try the double filter , these fuel pumps must be very sensitive to the slightest part of dirt . It is a good feeling haveing the Electric spare just in case .   Thanks Len
Quote from: Len Sholes on February 17, 2008, 12:55:25 PM
Bill re your fuel pump problems. What are you finding wrong with the ones that are failing? The only two iitems that might be effected by an additive would be the fibre check valves or the diaphragm.
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Bill Balkie 24172

Thanks Geoff   I  am going to install a filter before and after the pump ,  i think my prpblem must be dirt related . however i just had my tank cleaned . i did notice some dirt in the filter before the carb. so i guess some dirt did pass the the Pump . Thanks again for your input ...... Bill
Quote from: Geoff Newcombe #4719 on February 17, 2008, 12:21:42 PM
Bill, see my other post concerning your valve seats.  As to the "lead" additive you are using, it is, or should not be, lead.  It may be a lead substitute, but it is not legal to sell lead for consumer use.  I would stay away from it, you do not need it.
:)

Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Bill,

I noted that you just had your tank cleaned, so I am positive that there in lies your problem.

Unless an old tank is cut open, and cleaned and then put back together, no amount of cleaning whilst it is in one piece will get out everything.

Why was it necessary to clean out in the first place?   Rust?

I "cleaned out" a tank once, and thought I got it clean, but 6 months later, I was down to changing Fuel Filters once a month.  The first few days of using it, I was changing filters virtually once a day.

It was only necessary to install the filter between the tank and the pump.

Additives "Should not" affect the operations of any fuel system part, and if they did, there should be a Warning as part of the Label.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Bill Balkie 24172

Thanks Bruce, i think you are correct , if need be i will put a new filter on every time i take my car out . I will install a filter before and after the Pump .Do you think the pump will have a problem sucking the gas thru the filter ?  Thanks Bill Good luck wuth you 1972 Eldorado 
Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on February 17, 2008, 06:43:55 PM
G'day Bill,

I noted that you just had your tank cleaned, so I am positive that there in lies your problem.

Unless an old tank is cut open, and cleaned and then put back together, no amount of cleaning whilst it is in one piece will get out everything.

Why was it necessary to clean out in the first place?   Rust?

I "cleaned out" a tank once, and thought I got it clean, but 6 months later, I was down to changing Fuel Filters once a month.  The first few days of using it, I was changing filters virtually once a day.

It was only necessary to install the filter between the tank and the pump.

Additives "Should not" affect the operations of any fuel system part, and if they did, there should be a Warning as part of the Label.

Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Bill:

Sorry to hear of your fuel pump problem.  I don't know how old your replacement
pump was, but rubber compounds do deteriorate with age and modern fuels contain
additives (ethanol among others) that will deteriorate them in short order.

When I bought a pump for my '55 (an NOS pump) I rebuilt it with fresh rubber
parts to insure it was going to be OK --- even though it was NOS.  I've never
had a problem since then.

Just my word of advice -- on rubber parts, when in doubt replace them!

Mike

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Bill Balkie 24172 on February 17, 2008, 08:59:05 PM
Thanks Bruce, i think you are correct , if need be i will put a new filter on every time i take my car out . I will install a filter before and after the Pump .Do you think the pump will have a problem sucking the gas thru the filter ?  Thanks Bill Good luck wuth you 1972 Eldorado   
G'day Bill,

The Fuel Pump will not have any trouble pulling the fuel through the Filter, until it gets totally blocked.

Me, I use the Plastic Filters with an opaque colour, and one can see the discolouration in the bottom at a glance, and then after I have replaced it, I dismantle it (Cut it open making sure without accidentally slicing myself) and check the contents.

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

John Morris #23947

I had this problem once. The filter bag inside the tank was so clogged, the pump had to work like sucking a watermelon through a straw. It ruined 2 pumps in short order. We flushed the tank and installed a new filter bag, no more pumps going out.
71 Olds 98 LS, 66 Fairlane 500 XL Convertible, 55 Packard Clipper Super, 58 Edsel Ranger, 72 Cheyenne Super, many 49-60 parts cars, abandoned "House Of Doom" full of 49-60 parts. Huge piles of engine parts, brackets, tin, Hydramatic & Jetaway parts,  thousands of stainless moldings, dozens of perfect sedan doors.