News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1989 Transmission Rumbling

Started by Dennis DiNorcia #19071, February 19, 2008, 09:11:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis DiNorcia #19071

My 1989 DeVille with 109,000 miles has a transmission problem. From a dead start it shifts from 1st to 2nd OK but when shifting from 2nd to 3rd, the transmission makes a rumbling noise until it gets into gear. 3rd to 4th is OK as well. The harder I accelerate, the harder the noise, if I ease up on the gas it would not be as harsh and after a few seconds it goes into gear. I went to a local transmission place that would not give me any tips on what it might be. (No surprise to me) They said they will need to pull it apart and do an "internal inspection" to see what is wrong. I know once I do that, I will not get the car back without putting in a new transmission. Could this be a sensor or switch of some sort, and will will this show up if a computer diagnosis is done?

TJ Hopland

The computer control transmissions didnt start till the mid 90's.  The only thing in the 89's that was electric was the lock up torque converter.  If it was mine I assume its going to need a rebuild, the question will be how long can I make it last before that.  A noise like that can not be a good thing.   To buy some time I would try adding some sort of a treatment.  When I think I just have something stuck that needs worked loose I use Seafoam Trans Tune and when I think things are just falling apart I have had some luck with a Lucas product (dont remember the name but it comes in a quart bottle and you need to warm it up before you try to pour it or you are going to be standing there a long time because its so thick).   You also want develop a driving technique to not let it keep making the noise because the noise is hurting things.  If the treatment seems to help you may want to find a shop you trust and do a fluid flush along with a pan inspection and filter change.  For that car I would look at a rebuild vs. used because the labor to make the swap is as much as the rebuild.  You also want to make sure the warranty includes removing the transmission again if needed.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Perry G

When mine made that noise it was the 3rd gear clutch plates that burnt up. $1200.00 will fix it,, It did mine.  :'(  That was at 97k,,, Now it has 134k on her.