News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Carb Preheater hose for 75 eldorado

Started by Scott Prokes, February 19, 2008, 10:15:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Prokes

Hello, I am looking for a preheater hose that runs between the carb and the manifold (it is the silver flexible hose).  It seems that the widest diameter that the auto parts stores sell is two inches.  However, the fitting on the manifold is a little over two inches, which prevents the hose from slipping on.  Does anyone know of a supplier who sells proper fitting hoses for these eldorados?

Thanks for your help,
Scott

TJ Hopland

I checked my usual lists and 2" is the largest I see also.   Are you going for an original show quality look or just looking for something that works?   I see on the lists that there are plenty of sizes just under 2" so maybe you could find one of those that would fit inside the nipple on the manifold?  Those are missing off of most of my cars including the 78 that I have been driving daily the last 2 months with some highs around 0*F and it has not seemed to hurt anything.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Joe G 12138

Try using an exhaust pipe expander tool on one end, the type that as you tighten the bolt head , it drives the tapered inserts outwards. Only use a manual one, an air powered is too much power too fast.  JC Whitney used to sell these tools; manybe there availible to borrow from Auto zone?  Another method to stretch the new one that I've used is to take a funnel, or a full beverage can that has the top lid smaller than the can diameter, and work the new hose slowly by hand to get it to stretch and form over the can. If that doen't work, you've still got a six pack to enjoy when you're done!

EAM-17806

SCOTT:  I have  76 Caddy coupe de Ville and the carburetor preheater hose is definitely two inches dia and it fits perfectly.  Since the 75 AND 76 CADDYS are basicly the same engine I'm surprised these preheater hoses are different!  I have the box it came in and they say if you cannot find one to fit your car write to following and they will get you one:  MOTORMITE, ATTN: NEW PRODUCT MANAGER, DIV OF R & B, INC., PO BOX 1800, COLMAR, PA 18915-1800.  I hope they are still around but it is worth a try. Unfortunately they do not list a tel number.  GOOD LUCK SCOTT!  EAM

TJ Hopland

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Lars Kneller 8246

I know I got one for my 72 Eldorado a while back from either www.rockauto.com or www.carparts.com