News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1938 60S Serial Number Decode?

Started by thunder, February 19, 2008, 04:17:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thunder

Where do I go to obatin a decode of the Serial Number on a 1938 60 Special?
Jon
A going on 6-decades car guy

Don Boshara #594

The serial # should be: 627XXXX. The last 4 numbers would indicate the order in which it was built. Apparently there were 3704 production '38 60 Specials.
1940 Sixty Special
1966 Mustang Cpe

thunder

Don:

Wow, thanks a bunch!  Do you know if, in those days they began with an 0001 count, they began thre Model Year count at zero?

And  ...  BTW  ... is there a place I can decode the car's Trim Code 44?
Jon

Warren Rauch

The model year count did begin with 0001, but serial and body numbers were not always used in order. The trim code 44 was Gray Novelty Bedford Cord for 1937 thru 1940. Your guess is probably better than mine what that is. Warren

Don Boshara #594

This is Tan Novelty Bedford Cord from a piece about 4" wide
1940 Sixty Special
1966 Mustang Cpe

thunder

Thanks guys!  This is great.  I am appraising a very nice 38 60S for a car guy's widow and want to get the details correct.

You have helped me alot and I really appreciate it.
Jon