News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1965 Upholstery Buttons

Started by Ian clc#20080, February 20, 2008, 07:23:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian clc#20080

Hi there,

Going through a body and upholstery rebuild.  My car is a 1965 De Ville convertible that I am returning to original style upholstery with Jenkins leather and matching vinyl.  However I have not been able to work out what the original seat buttons were like - plastic with grain or leather/vinyl covered.

I've had a look at the authenticity manual and "Cadillacs of the Sixties" but I haven't found any reference at this time.

Input would be welcome.

Ian 20080

homeonprunehill

Quote from: Ian clc#20080 on February 20, 2008, 07:23:47 AM
Hi there,
Going through a body and upholstery rebuild.  My car is a 1965 De Ville convertible that I am returning to original style upholstery with Jenkins leather and matching vinyl.  However I have not been able to work out what the original seat buttons were like - plastic with grain or leather/vinyl covered.
I've had a look at the authenticity manual and "Cadillacs of the Sixties" but I haven't found any reference at this time.
Input would be welcome.
Ian 20080
[/quote
02-23-08
Ian,I have a couple of suggessions for you. No.1. Talk to someone at Jenkins, and tell the person that you don't know about the buttons. I'll bet folding money that someone there will know which buttons to use. EIther, leather or vinyl covered, as I have never seen ANY car without covered buttons.   No.2. Relie on what the person says, either he or someone there will know. I'll bet that you have a nice looking car, What color did you paint it? Origional or "HELLO OFFICER RED" or "hello officer red"? No.3. After you get the word from Jenkins, take the material to an upholstery shop and have the buttons made. Only about a $1.00 each. No.4. Call around to find the best deal. You will  find out, (if you haven 't already done so) that the person who does not have the size you need, will always be the chepest. Until he gets them in stock, them he  think his product is made of gold, from the way he has them priced.
Good Luck,JIM
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES